[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Mac and ISO9660 CDROMS and recource forks/creator/type fieldsa

phil@vaxphw.enet.dec.com (Phil Hunt) (03/06/91)

HI,

We are about to build a CDROM in my company in ISO9660 format so it is
readable on a Mac and PC machine....

Problems:

How do I store mac files on it?  I can do data files, but applications
contain a resource fork file and data fork file, how would you store them, they
both have the same name!

2)  The mac needs a desktop file and you must store in the resource fork
of a file icons, type/creator fields, etc.  How do you do it?

Has anyone succesfully done this for a mac yet?

Phil Hunt

Ps.  Please respond by EMAIL< mu USENET connections have been flakey
at best this last month.

THANKS!

Phil Hunt                      "Wherever you go, there you are!!!"
Digital Equipment Corporation                 Phone: (508)486-2164
ENET:        VAXPHW::PHIL
USENET:      phil@vaxphw.enet.dec.com
MOREUSENET:  phil%vaxphw.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com
EVENMORE:    ....!decwrl!dec-vaxphw!phil

blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) (03/07/91)

phil@vaxphw.enet.dec.com (Phil Hunt) writes:

>We are about to build a CDROM in my company in ISO9660 format so it is
>readable on a Mac and PC machine....

>How do I store mac files on it?  I can do data files, but applications
>contain a resource fork file and data fork file, how would you store
>them, they both have the same name!

You use the "associated bit" created for that express purpose.

>2)  The mac needs a desktop file and you must store in the resource fork
>of a file icons, type/creator fields, etc.  How do you do it?

You don't.  There is no desktop file on an ISO 9660 volume; the file
system translator fakes out all the desktop calls.  All files have the
(either document or application) generic icon.  Types and creators are
handled by use of the system extensions field as allowed by ISO 9660.
If no system extensions field exists, the files have type 'TEXT' and
creator 'hscd'.

I'd recommend getting Apple Technical Report 16, "CD-ROM and the
Macintosh Computer" available from the Apple corporate library by
sending an email with your address to corp.lib@applelink.apple.com.
Another good description is develop magazine volume 1 issue 3, "The Ins
and Outs of ISO 9660 and High Sierra."

I can also make the tech report available for anonymous ftp, but it's
in Fullwrite Professional format, and won't easily convert to other
formats. Any ideas how I can make the contents available to the widest
possible audience?

>Has anyone succesfully done this for a mac yet?

Yes, I've seen several such CDs.  Optical Media International has sold
them for a while.

--Brian Bechtel     blob@apple.com     "My opinion, not Apple's"