[comp.sys.mac.programmer] how to do floating windows

yossie@fnal.fnal.gov (Yossie Silverman) (02/22/91)

I am looking for some concrete information (or samples) on how to do
floating windows in an application.  I can see two methods:

1) in your event loop make sure to use the SendBehind in most cases
instead of SelectWindow and do something clever for FrontWindow.

2) Establish two SetTrapAddress's for SelectWindow and FrontWindow and
then just write normally.  The latter seems nicer (I would use a
windowKind other than 8 - say 9 - for floating windows to make them easier
to spot) but details escape me.

If anything really neat somes in email, I will post it too.

Cheers - Yossie

---

yossie@fnal.fnal.gov; yossie@fnccf.bitnet
What did the Caspian Sea? - Saki

butenko@bob.srcc.msu.su (Vladimir A. Butenko) (02/25/91)

In <&Q|#W%^@linac.fnal.gov> yossie@fnal.fnal.gov (Yossie Silverman) writes:

>I am looking for some concrete information (or samples) on how to do
>floating windows in an application.

I strongly recommend you to look at Think Class Library Sources
(CFWDesktop.c - "A desktop which supports floating windows")

It's not free of small bugs, but it's very useful if you want to understand
the technique.

BTW, guys, are floating windows supported in System 7.0? Why, if no?

Good luck!
--
Vladimir A. Butenko             Internet:       <Butenko@bob.srcc.msu.su>
Gamma Software,                 Phone:          7(095)939-2618

Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Lawson English) (02/25/91)

Yossie Silverman writes in a message to All

YS> I am looking for some concrete information (or samples) on how
YS> to do floating windows in an application. I can see two methods:

The Think Class Libraries have a Floating Window implementation...

The basic idea is to have a clipRgn that is called before any window updates
are done that dis-allows any drawing over the entire floating window. I don't
know any more then that, but if you ahve the TCL's look in the CFWDeskTop methods...

Lawson

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!300!15.88!Lawson.English
Internet: Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (03/07/91)

In article <ABV-_ndSx9@bob.srcc.msu.su> butenko@bob.srcc.msu.su writes:
>In <&Q|#W%^@linac.fnal.gov> yossie@fnal.fnal.gov (Yossie Silverman) writes:
>
>>I am looking for some concrete information (or samples) on how to do
>>floating windows in an application.
>
>I strongly recommend you to look at Think Class Library Sources
>(CFWDesktop.c - "A desktop which supports floating windows")
>
>It's not free of small bugs, but it's very useful if you want to understand
>the technique.
>
>BTW, guys, are floating windows supported in System 7.0? Why, if no?

Because the $%#& thing is late enough already.

BTW, a floating windows package comes with MacApp as an experimental
enhancment. An official, more complete implementation will be in
MacApp 3.0.

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions

nebel@wam.umd.edu (Chris D. Nebel) (03/08/91)

>>BTW, guys, are floating windows supported in System 7.0? Why, if no?
>
>Because the $%#& thing is late enough already.
>
>BTW, a floating windows package comes with MacApp as an experimental
>enhancment. An official, more complete implementation will be in
>MacApp 3.0.

I remember that in the early docs on System 7 there was a bit about an
extension to the Window Manager that would allow you to group windows into
layers, allowing you to do floating windows fairly painlessly.  However, I
saw neither hide nor hair of this extension on the 7.0 beta CDs.

Did this feature get dumped because of lack of time?  Will it make it into
a future System version (7.1? :)  And will this MacApp thingy do the same
thing?

Chris Nebel
nebel@wam.umd.edu