[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Limitations

jcav@ellis.uchicago.edu (john cavallino) (03/08/91)

In article <1991Mar5.154712.3149@jhereg.osa.com> andrew@jhereg.osa.com (Andrew C. Esh) writes:
>I have always valued learning any development or editing system that
>include some sort of programmability. Systems like Unix, Brief (a PC editor
>like Emacs that has a macro language buit in), and any development system
>that includes scripting. What systems like these taught me is that if there
>is something the devlopment system does not do, usually a script can be
>written to solve the problem. I learned self reliance, and never learned
>that I should expect the writers of the compiler to fix all the problems
>for me. My fondest memories of when I was learning to program was when I
>took the devlopment system and stretched it to solve new problems.
>
>One of the things I regret being exposed to early on was Pascal. It has
>restrictions built in which make it easy to learn, and keeps the student
>from getting into too much trouble. It also keeps the student from doing
>things that may need to be done. I like Pascal, but I would rather use C++,
>since I find fewer impediments. (Pascal hacks: Please don't flame; I'm
>using Pascal as an example of limitations, not comparing languages)
>
>Think-C has its place also. I use it to blast out small routines that I
>need in a hurry, and I know aren't going to stress the system. THen I
>usually port them to MPW and intergrate them with the huge projects I have
>going over there. It's a kind of Breadboard process.
>
>My point is that I think it is important for your students to learn self
>reliance, by first learning to work with a raw system that has few
>limitations rather than come to depend on a limited system which they will
>eventually outgrow.

You make some cogent points, but I must question your depiction of the
THINK language products as "limited."  I would prefer to call them
lean and mean, without excess baggage.  No, they are not extensible, but
they are quite sufficiently powerful for major projects.  Do not forget
that Adobe Illustrator, PageMaker 3, MacWrite II, etc. were developed
with THINK C.
The THINK products are not geared toward the management of huge multi-
programmer projects, but I submit that this is not necessarily a bad thing.

--
John Cavallino                      |     EMail: jcav@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago Hospitals     |    USMail: 5841 S. Maryland Ave, Box 145