[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Bold "default" buttons in dialogs

ddean@granite.cr.bull.com (Douglas J. DeAngelis) (03/08/91)

How does one cause a button in a dialog to be outlined in Bold so
as to indicate that it is the default option?  It seems to be done
automagically with single button alerts, but I can't find it in any
of my many references.

-Doug

--
Douglas J. DeAngelis			Bull Worldwide Information Systems
ddean@fhr.cr.bull.com			300 Concord Road  MA30-852A

lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim) (03/08/91)

In article <1991Mar7.161707.29634@granite.cr.bull.com> ddean@granite.cr.bull.com (Douglas J. DeAngelis) writes:
>How does one cause a button in a dialog to be outlined in Bold so
>as to indicate that it is the default option?  It seems to be done
>automagically with single button alerts, but I can't find it in any
>of my many references.

This works in alerts with any number of buttons but the default button can
only be OK or Cancel (1 or 2).  You can set this in ResEdit for an ALRT
template.

For dialogs you have to do it yourself.  IM I gives a very simple user item
that does this but doesn't work for all sizes or colors.  Some people use
PICT items.

Or... (warning, plug coming) you could use my Default CDEF.  You paste it into
your resource file and then add an '@' to the end of the default button title.
An outline appears automagically in ResEdit and your app.  The next
soon-to-be-released version will also include sample code for a user item
that does the same thing.  (Anyone sick of my plugs yet?  This question
seems to some up every other week or so.)

+++
Lloyd Lim     Internet: lim@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu
              America Online: LimUnltd
              Compuserve: 72647,660
              US Mail: 215 Lysle Leach Hall, U.C. Davis, Davis, CA 95616