[comp.sys.mac.programmer] FORTRAN compiler summary

cegrw@cc.newcastle.edu.au (03/08/91)

The general consensus of FORTRAN compilers is that

1. Absoft's MacFORTRAN II is about 20-30% faster on real codes (as opposed to
benchmarks) than V2.1 of Language Systems FORTRAN. Some small tight loops may
optimise better up to 50%. However, anocdotal evidence says that compile times
are significantly longer for MACFORTRAN II (up to 10 times slower). With
nooptimisation selected MACFORTRAN II was still faster but the speed of
compilation differential was smaller. Language Systems themselves admitted to
this differential but said that the next version will incorporate more
optimisation. No comments on the size of executable code.

2. No significant comments came in comparing the TTY emulating windows that
both provide but some suggested that Language Systems FORTRAN was easier to use
and extend.

3. The VAX compatability of Language Systems FORTRAN was seen to be a superior
point. Both compilers were seen to be bug free (unlike ABSoft's stand alone
MACFortran/020 V2.4 which one reply described as a bug-ridden-port-from-hell
which from my own experience is ungenerous but fairly true).

4. MacFORTRAN II is considerably more expensive than Language Systems and can
not be bought without MPW.

5. No comments were made on SADE compatability of either compiler.

6. In Australia at least, technical support for both compilers is
unsatisfactory.

The general concensus was that Language Systems was the more useful compiler
and better value though with the advent MacFORTRAN II the situation is no
longer as clear cut as before.

Dr Garry Willgoose
Dept of Civil Engineering and Surveying
University of Newcastle, NSW, 2308
AUSTRALIA.

Louis.Pecora@f421.n109.z1.Fidonet.Org (Louis Pecora) (03/11/91)

Garry, Thanks for the in depth info comparing Absoft Fortran (MPW) to
Lang. Sys. Fortran. I was an early user of Absoft fortran and it
appears they may have cleaned up their act somewhat. I don't think 20%
to 30% faster would be enough to make me leave Language Systems. At
that differential in speed many other factors (like ease of use,
features, etc.) loom much larger. 50% might turn some heads though, but
I guess this differential is not a guarantee. Sorry to hear the support
is so bad down under. Lang. Sys. has been very good about support here
in the states. I'll try to relay your message to them (they are local
to my area, Washington, D.C.), although since it landed on this Mac
BBS, they may have already seen it. Thanks, again.   --- Lou Pecora

 * Origin: Twilight Clone: Macintosh - 301-946-8677 - 10 lines (1:109/421)