[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Appletalk samples

rjohnson@seas.gwu.edu (Ray Johnson) (03/13/91)

Does any one know of any good sample code that shows the use of data
transfer using appletalk?  Samples showing the use of DDP would be best.

If you have good clear code but are reluctant to give it up, let me
know and perhaps we could deal.

--
Ray Johnson
Internet: rjohnson@seas.gwu.edu       Phone: (202)994-6853

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (03/14/91)

In article <2850@sparko.gwu.edu>, rjohnson@seas.gwu.edu (Ray Johnson) writes:

> Does any one know of any good sample code that shows the use of data
> transfer using appletalk?  Samples showing the use of DDP would be best.
>
> If you have good clear code but are reluctant to give it up, let me
> know and perhaps we could deal.

Think twice about using DDP.  It's very low level and does not provide
guaranteed delivery.  I'd recommend either using AppleTalk Transaction
Protocol (ATP) or AppleTalk Data Stream Protocol (ADSP).

ATP privides a simple transaction model for sending and receiving
small amounts of data.  ADSP is great for sending large amounts of
data across the network with fairly good efficiency.

There is a good example of using ADSP on the most recient DEVELOP
magazine from Apple.  It's written in Object Pascal using MacApp.

For simple ATP code you can look at the DTS sample code for generating
a zone list.  In older AppleTalk you needed to talk to your local
bridge using ATP to get the zone list.  So in "SC.11 GetZoneList"
they have code that does that very thing.  The latest Developer CD's
have this code written in both MPW Pascal and C.

-- michael

P.S.  (Another self serving advertisement followsI)
Sometime this summer you will be able to pick up Programming With
AppleTalk from Addison-Wesley, part of their Macintosh Inside-Out
series, written by me.  It will include some "real world" example
code that uses NBP, ATP, and ADSP and they are meant to be a good
starting place for your own network code.

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE