[comp.sys.mac.programmer] mac programming

jbasara@ssdc (jim basara) (02/10/91)

I am about to buy a Mac LC and will be looking for a C++ compiler.  When
I read the product definition for the MPW product it appears that I will
require the MPW environment AND the MPW C compiler as well.

1.  Is this true?

2.  How much memory will all this require?

3.  How much of a dog will the LC be for programming (C++, C, MacApp)?

4.  Is there another C++ compiler that I should look at instead?

5.  Did I miss anything?  Will I need some other software as well such as the
toolkit or something else?

ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (lanett mark) (02/12/91)

anders@verity.com (Anders Wallgren) writes:

>>5.  Did I miss anything?  Will I need some other software as well such as the
>>toolkit or something else?
>>

>You will need MPW, MPW C, MPW C++ to compile and run C++ code.  To
>debug you will probably want to get SADE or Jasik's Debugger.  If you
>want to use MacApp, you will have to get that, and probably MPW Object
>Pascal as well, since it is sometimes necessary to rebuild MacApp.

Don't bother with Object Pascal. There are plenty of libraries on the CD-ROM
(just go to a dealer to copy them to floppies), and MacApp 3.0 will be in
C++. Object Pascal just isn't the same (tho' it _does_ use less memory and
compile faster--nice for "quickies" :-) )

Mark Lanett
--
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Mark Lanett						ml27192@uxa.cs.uiuc.edu

grh@rhi.hi.is (Gisli Runar Hjaltason) (03/14/91)

In article <1991Feb10.231719.21163@verity.com> anders@verity.com (Anders Wallgren) writes:
>In article <632@ssdc?>, jbasara@ssdc (jim basara) writes:
>>4.  Is there another C++ compiler that I should look at instead?
>
>I think THINK supports a pseudo-C++-like language, but I'm not sure
>how useful it is.  I don't know of any others, although I wouldn't be
>surprised to see them coming.

There is a true C++ compiler (not CFront based) forthcoming from Zortech.
Gisli R. Hjaltason
grh@rhi.hi.is
  Iceland