[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MPW editor bites

robertj@Autodesk.COM (Young Rob Jellinghaus) (03/12/91)

MPW's editor is really unfortunate in two respects:

    The window doesn't scroll horizontally to follow the insert point.
    Holding down shift and using the arrow keys doesn't select any
    	text.

The first bug is especially lame in that the window _does_ follow the
insertion point _vertically_!

Both of these are really annoying, especially for someone used to
WriteNow which does all of this stuff _properly_.

Any idea if any new version of the Shell that would support these two
little but important features is forthcoming?

--
Rob Jellinghaus                 | "Next time you see a lie being spread or
Autodesk, Inc.                  |  a bad decision being made out of sheer

beard@ux5.lbl.gov (Patrick C Beard) (03/13/91)

#
#    The window doesn't scroll horizontally to follow the insert point.
#    Holding down shift and using the arrow keys doesn't select any
#    	text.
#
#The first bug is especially lame in that the window _does_ follow the
#insertion point _vertically_!
#
#Both of these are really annoying, especially for someone used to
#WriteNow which does all of this stuff _properly_.
#
#Any idea if any new version of the Shell that would support these two
#little but important features is forthcoming?

Solution:  Get ETO!  The latest shell does both of these as you request.  It
also feates several other improvements.
--
//  Patrick C. Beard, Software Engineer, Berkeley Systems, Inc.
//                    "Heroes of technology."

urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) (03/13/91)

In comp.sys.mac.programmer, article <3276@autodesk.COM>,

<
< Any idea if any new version of the Shell that would support these two
< little but important features is forthcoming?
<
3.2 (at least the alpha I have here) does both right. (More or less --
depending on your personal definition of "right". It tries to scroll first
and then apply the keystroke, which isn't pretty when the key happens to be a
backspace and the selection extends partly to the right of the window.)

--
Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs@smurf.sub.org -- urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de     /(o\
Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49-721-621127(0700-2330)   \o)/

pasek@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Michael A. Pasek) (03/14/91)

In article <3276@autodesk.COM> robertj@Autodesk.COM (R. Jellinghaus) writes:
>MPW's editor is really unfortunate in two respects:
>    The window doesn't scroll horizontally to follow the insert point.
>    Holding down shift and using the arrow keys doesn't select any
>    	text.
>The first bug is especially lame in that the window _does_ follow the
>insertion point _vertically_!
>Both of these are really annoying, especially for someone used to
>WriteNow which does all of this stuff _properly_.

I, too, found both of these annonying.  Especially the second one.  C'mon,
guys...every word processor I've seen that was written since 1986 can do this.
Where were the Thought Police when you slipped this one by ?

The horizontal scroll part is not so much annoying as confusing.  Try doing
a "Find", looking for the last occurrence of something.  When it beeps, you
look for the last "Find", but "Hey, where's my cursor ?!?"  Scroll up, not
there.  Scroll down, not there.  Oh, yeah....the third line down has some
more text on it AFTER those 50 spaces......

>Any idea if any new version of the Shell that would support these two
>little but important features is forthcoming?

I haven't heard of any.....how about a patch ?

>Rob Jellinghaus                 | "Next time you see a lie being spread or
>Autodesk, Inc.                  |  a bad decision being made out of sheer
>robertj@Autodesk.COM            |  ignorance, pause, and think of hypertext."
>{decwrl,uunet}!autodesk!robertj |    -- K. Eric Drexler, _Engines of Creation_

M. A. Pasek               Software Development              NCR Comten, Inc.
(612) 638-7668               NP Development               2700 N. Snelling Ave.
pasek@ncrons.StPaul.NCR.COM                               Roseville, MN  55113