[comp.sys.mac.programmer] INFO REQUEST: Source Control/ Version Control Systems

news@cs.rit.edu (N) (03/15/91)

INFO REQUEST: Source Code Control\ Version Control Systems

I'm looking for any information you may have regarding the management of source code on the Macintosh.  I've noticed this topic pops up every couple of months, but I've never come across a satisfactory answer.

WHAT IS SOURCE CONTROL:

Background: A source control system will typically store the original file and only the subsequent sets of changes to it on disk.
Features:
- Mechanism for storing,updating and retrieving any version of a text file.
- Control access to that file, either locally or across a network.
- Identify version of retrieved file.
- maintain a record of changes, why they were made and by whom.
- The ability to branch to diverge from main releases.

QUESTIONS:

1. What Macintosh source control (SC) programs exist, either commercial or 'public domain'/shareware/freeware?

2. If you are not using any special Macintosh  SC program then:
a) how are you handling an environment where multiple programmers are working on the same set of code?
b) How are you handling the release of different software version? What about branching, i.e. diverging from the main versions to produce specialized versions?
c) What about a combination of (a) and (b)?

WHAT I (think) I KNOW:

1) Projector Program- This is a program that is bundled with MPW and provides a degree of functionality of a source control system.

2) Multiple Copies - I call this the brute force method.  It requires keeping complete multiple copies of the software/documentation for each version/release.  This quickly becomes unmanageable and wasteful for any reasonably sized project especially when you consider question (2c) above.

3) Another computer system's source control facility - I use the source control system of a Sun workstation, called SCCS for those who are familiar.  It provides the features described above. I'm sure it exists, in some form or the other, on other UNIX systems.  This is inconvenient since I must use Telnet to transfer the files and it tends to be slow for larger projects, not to mention that I must be done frequently.  Most of you probably don't have access to (or don't want to learn) other systems.

4) ??? <Tell me about your favorite system> ???

*******
- Tell me about your favorite source code control system?
- Are you satisfied with it?

I will summarize to the net!

Send ALL responses to :

               uunet!sisd.kodak.COM!ahc

OR use   amc4023@ma.rit.edu   as a last resort
OR  Aleck Che-Mponda,35810,Rochester NY 14653-5810      SnailMail
*******
--
Aleck Che-Mponda		ahc@sisd.kodak.com
Software Engineer		amc4023@ma.rit.edu

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (03/17/91)

In article <2195@cs.rit.edu>, news@cs.rit.edu (N) writes:
> WHAT I (think) I KNOW:
>
> 1) Projector Program- This is a program that is bundled with MPW and provides a
> degree of functionality of a source control system.

Well, Projector *is* a source control system.  It works very well
(IMHO) and I have used it a number of times to coordinate a large
project among a large number of programmers.  I've used other systems
on other platforms and Projector measures up quite nicely.

> 2) Multiple Copies - I call this the brute force method.  It requires keeping
> complete multiple copies of the software/documentation for each
> version/release.  This quickly becomes unmanageable and wasteful for any
> reasonably sized project especially wheou consider question (2c) above.

Right, this breaks down fast.

> 3) Another computer system's source control facility - I use the source control
> system of a Sun workstation, called SCCS for those who are familiar.  It
> provides the features described above. I'm sure it exists, in some form or the
> other, on other UNIX sems.  This is inconvenient since I must use Telnet to
> transfer the files and it tends to be slow for larger projects, not to mention
> that I must be done frequently.  Most of you probably don't have access to (or
> don't want to learn) other systems.

A new product (coming soon :-) is Version Master from AaStart Technologies.
It provides version control for non-MPW users.  It works well for non-
programmers who need to control documents (DTP, CAD, Art, etc).  They
have also made some improvements recently to make it a reasonable choice
for source code control for people using the THINK environments (thanks
for telling them that this is needed!).

This product is still is beta, but they can be reached at:

AsStar Technologies
P.O. Box 1100
Littleton, MA 01460
(508) 486-8532

-- michael

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE