[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MC 68040 Compatibility Questions

leue@galen.crd.ge.com (Bill Leue) (03/13/91)

Does anyone have any opinions (or better yet, experience) about
compatibility problems with 68040 CPU's running standard Mac
applications?  I'm asking this for a friend who is considering
buying an add-on 68040-based accelerator to his SE30.  He is worried
about the (reportedly somewhat different) floating-point implmentation
of the 68040 versus the 68030 causing problems for applications.

Thanks!
-Bill Leue
leue@crd.ge.com

niko@iastate.edu (Schuessler Nikolaus E) (03/18/91)

>Does anyone have any opinions (or better yet, experience) about
>compatibility problems with 68040 CPU's running standard Mac
>applications?  I'm asking this for a friend who is considering
>buying an add-on 68040-based accelerator to his SE30.  He is worried
>about the (reportedly somewhat different) floating-point implmentation
>of the 68040 versus the 68030 causing problems for applications.

Well, I am in no way an expert on 68040's, but I have done some reading
in Motorola's technical literature.  The difference in the floating point
implementation is that the 68040 doesn't implement all the 68881/2 functions
in hardware... The remaining functions are implemented as traps.  This means
they will run much slower (as someone else commented on one of these mac
groups).

--

lrm3@ellis.uchicago.edu (Lawrence Reed Miller) (03/18/91)

In article <1991Mar17.234807.14271@news.iastate.edu> niko@iastate.edu (Schuessler Nikolaus E) writes:

>>Does anyone have any opinions (or better yet, experience) about
>>compatibility problems with 68040 CPU's running standard Mac
>>applications?  I'm asking this for a friend who is considering
>>buying an add-on 68040-based accelerator to his SE30.  He is worried
>>about the (reportedly somewhat different) floating-point implmentation
>>of the 68040 versus the 68030 causing problems for applications.
>
>Well, I am in no way an expert on 68040's, but I have done some reading
>in Motorola's technical literature.  The difference in the floating point
>implementation is that the 68040 doesn't implement all the 68881/2 functions
>in hardware... The remaining functions are implemented as traps.  This means
>they will run much slower (as someone else commented on one of these mac
>groups).

According to Motorola, the 68040 emulated FPU commands run as fast or faster
than they would on a 68882.  However, there has been some debate about
whether or not the trap overhead actually causes these commands to slow down
on the 68040 or not.  There was some talk in comp.sys.next about whether or
not this was slowing things down; personally I'd wait to _see_ how the Mac
68040 software implements these traps [& test some code!] before making up
my mind.

The 68040 has native commands for add, subtract, multiply, divide and square
root (plus a couple others) [see MC68040/D]; the emulated commands are for
sines, cosines and the like.  For most people the trapped command issue is
of little importance, as they rarely use commands like FATANH (floating
hyperbolic arc tangent) in day-to-day life.  Of course, for some people the
execution speed of FATANH will be an issue, though.  It depends on your
application.