[comp.sys.mac.programmer] ResEdit 2.1 Bug

rjohnson@seas.gwu.edu (Ray Johnson) (03/13/91)

ResEdit 2.1 seems to have a bug in the ICON Family editor.  The editor
will allow to grab the ICONs on the left hand side and drag them into
the slots for the other ICONs.  The editor will then copy the ICON into
the new slot.  It will even scale the ICON if it is copied into the
smaller sized ICONs.  Works great execpt in one case...

When I grab the Mask Icon and drag it into the small mask Icon the
application unexpectly quits.  It happens every time I try it.  Can
anyone confirm this on there machine?  I am running an SE/30 with
System 6.0.5 and lots of inits.  However, it sounds to me like a
ResEdit bug and not a conflict with any of my other software.

--
Ray Johnson
Internet: rjohnson@seas.gwu.edu       Phone: (202)994-6853

anders@verity.com (Anders Wallgren) (03/13/91)

In article <2852@sparko.gwu.edu>, rjohnson@seas (Ray Johnson) writes:

>When I grab the Mask Icon and drag it into the small mask Icon the
>application unexpectly quits.  It happens every time I try it.  Can
>anyone confirm this on there machine?  I am running an SE/30 with
>System 6.0.5 and lots of inits.  However, it sounds to me like a
>ResEdit bug and not a conflict with any of my other software.

I just tried this on a IIfx with 6.0.7 and didn't have a problem.  Are
you sure you have the release version of 2.1?

anders

wieser@fsd.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Bernhard Wieser) (03/14/91)

(These have all probably been discussed before...)

Yes, also, draging an icon to the mask causes bus errors for me...
This seems to happen whenever they use their generic editors.
Editing info. on WDEF resources causes my LC to crash.
--
(    Bernie Wieser, wieser@cpsc.ucalgary.ca, BSWieser@uncamult.BITNET    )
(    4rth Year Dbl.Mgr Cpsc Clhc University of Calgary     |             )

jp48+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jonathan Pace) (03/14/91)

Ray,

   I tried dragging the icon mask to the small mask icon and it worked fine.  I
used a Mac II running 6.0.7.

Jon

rla20@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Roger Allen) (03/15/91)

In article <2852@sparko.gwu.edu> rjohnson@seas.gwu.edu writes:
>ResEdit 2.1 seems to have a bug in the ICON Family editor.
>
>When I grab the Mask Icon and drag it into the small mask Icon the
>application unexpectly quits.  It happens every time I try it.  Can
>anyone confirm this on there machine?  I am running an SE/30 with
>System 6.0.5 and lots of inits.  However, it sounds to me like a
>ResEdit bug and not a conflict with any of my other software.

I am running into this problem, too.  I am running a Mac IIcx with
System 6.0.5, too.  Others responded to c.s.m.p saying they had no prob
while running 6.0.7.  Could it be the system?  Mmmmmmmaybe!
--
> Roger Allen                    |  :~) "I always lie"                   <
> Amdahl Computer Development    |                                       <
> rla20@duts.ccc.amdahl.com      |  ;~( "I'm lying now"                  <

rgonzal@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Ralph Gonzalez) (03/15/91)

I have this problem of ResEdit 2.1 bombing when I try to copy an icon
to the mask, as well.  I think it is caused by having a 4-bit card
instead of 8-bit.  Perhaps you can try going to the Monitors area of
your Control Panel, and choosing black-and-white?

-Ralph

(Or make sure your're in 256 color mode if you've got 8-bits...)

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (03/18/91)

In article <f9GH02Nl05X.01@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com> rla20@DUTS.ccc.amdahl.com (PUT YOUR NAME HERE) writes:
>In article <2852@sparko.gwu.edu> rjohnson@seas.gwu.edu writes:
>>ResEdit 2.1 seems to have a bug in the ICON Family editor.
>>
>>When I grab the Mask Icon and drag it into the small mask Icon the
>>application unexpectly quits.  It happens every time I try it.  Can
>>anyone confirm this on there machine?  I am running an SE/30 with
>>System 6.0.5 and lots of inits.  However, it sounds to me like a
>>ResEdit bug and not a conflict with any of my other software.
>>
>I am running into this problem, too.  I am running a Mac IIcx with
>System 6.0.5, too.  Others responded to c.s.m.p saying they had no prob
>while running 6.0.7.  Could it be the system?  Mmmmmmmaybe!

Sorry, Roger. I've run ResEdit 2.1 under 6.0.5 on a IIfx with no
problems. Based on the info in this posting alone, the crashing could
be due to the older ROMs in the IIcx and SE/30. I don't recall if the
other people's postings bear this out.

Keith Rollin  ---  Apple Computer, Inc.
INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"I don't work in DTS anymore, so don't expect what I say to be right."