[comp.sys.mac.programmer] macsh

gould@theory.tn.cornell.edu (EWD) (03/19/91)

For whatever reason I find developing on my plain jane MacPlus
to be tedium.  Is there some product that would enable be to
order the little bugger to do this and that through a serial
interface?  It just seems to me that with nice tools like
"screen" and "expect" on a Unix box you could be editing and
printing and so forth while a script was telling the Mac
to compile this, link to that, and beep me when you're done.

Ideally I'd like a complete cross-development system on the
Unix side, but if I could just get the source files over where
I could grep and vi them, and type "make" to transport modified
files for a compile and link without touching a mouse that would
be close enough.  And no, it doesn't have to be free.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Eliot W. Dudley                       edudley@rodan.acs.syr.edu
RD 1, Box 66
Cato, New York   13033                315 437 0215

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (03/19/91)

In article <1991Mar18.190800.19303@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> gould@theory.tn.cornell.edu (EWD) writes:
>Unix side, but if I could just get the source files over where
>I could grep and vi them, and type "make" to transport modified
>files for a compile and link without touching a mouse that would
>be close enough.  And no, it doesn't have to be free.

Sounds like my setup almost exactly.

I do all my writing, editing, and analysis on my NeXT cube.  When I'm
ready for compile/test, I tr the touched files into a special directory,
which is exported (via NFS/Gatorbox/AppleShare) to my Mac.  I then
use MPW to copy the files to local disk and compile my app.

You could do the same thing with CAP and a FastPath (or Gatorbox, or
Multigate, or...), or one of the mac NFS products (TWG or Intercon).

Why go through all the trouble?  Well, several reasons:

1. Arithmetic.  5x7x72x2 is pretty lame compared to 9x12x92x4.

2. Performance.  I can say 'go SYMBOL' and have all my source files that
reference SYMBOL up in a few seconds.  If I made an MPW command for that,
I'd be waiting forever.

3. Protection.  At least my editor is safe from buggy versions of my program.

4. Isolation.  It's really nice to be able to use macsbug AND look at my
source.

5. Protection, revisited.  I can read news or edit my source while my mac
(blown away by a particularly bad crash) reboots.

6. Performance, revisited.  I can get work done while MPW compiles.  This
is, uh, painful on the mac.

7. Familiarity.  I don't know and don't want to know the MPW metacharacters,
or the scripting language.  Gimme grep and perl any old day.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner