[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Serial communications between Macs?

lasj@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (03/14/91)

Hello!

Is it possible for two Macs to communicate via serial port (transfer files)
using a standard Apple serial cable (part number M0197) and telecommunication
software such as VersaTerm or Red Ryder?

I have a client who wants to exchange data with two Macs in this fashion. I
think it'll work but can't be sure that the M0197 (usually used to connect Mac
to ImageWriter) will do the trick.

Do we need a "null modem" cable? Comments?

Larry

bobert@Autodesk.COM (Robert Murphy) (03/20/91)

In article <1991Mar13.162834.3343@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> lasj@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>Hello!
>
>Is it possible for two Macs to communicate via serial port (transfer files)
>using a standard Apple serial cable (part number M0197) and telecommunication
>software such as VersaTerm or Red Ryder?
>
>I have a client who wants to exchange data with two Macs in this fashion. I
>think it'll work but can't be sure that the M0197 (usually used to connect Mac
>to ImageWriter) will do the trick.

Yes, it will do the trick.

>Do we need a "null modem" cable? Comments?

The RS-232 standard expects a master-slave relationship between two devices.
A null-modem is a box that switches a couple of the wires around so both
devices think they're the master.  From that standpoint, the printer cable
is a "null modem" cable in that it's got the wires swapped around already.
You can also take two normal modem cables and stick a null-modem in between;
you can get a null-modem box at Radio Shack for a few bucks.

>Larry

Regards,
Bob Murphy
bobert@autodesk.com