[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Mac Developers Conference

dbw@cup.portal.com (Dale B Walker) (02/26/91)

Does anyone know when the developers Conference will be?

Dale

aruigrok@bnr.ca (Adrian C Ruigrok) (02/28/91)

In article <39583@cup.portal.com> dbw@cup.portal.com (Dale B Walker) writes:
>Does anyone know when the developers Conference will be?

They tell me May 13-17th.  Registration is Sunday the 12th.
Funny, isn't that the same time someone told me MacLeek claims 7.0 final is to
be released?
I am already booked into the hotel, so I hope they don't change it.
Adrian

blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) (02/28/91)

aruigrok@bnr.ca (Adrian C Ruigrok) writes:

>In article <39583@cup.portal.com> dbw@cup.portal.com (Dale B Walker) writes:
>>Does anyone know when the developers Conference will be?

>They tell me May 13-17th.  Registration is Sunday the 12th.  Funny,
>isn't that the same time someone told me MacLeek claims 7.0 final is to
>be released?  I am already booked into the hotel, so I hope they don't
>change it.

We won't change the developer's conference.  Do you have any idea of the
magnitude of effort necessary to bring that many people into one place
at one time?

--Brian Bechtel     blob@apple.com     "My opinion, not Apple's"

lemke@radius.com (Steve Lemke) (03/09/91)

}
}>They tell me May 13-17th.  Registration is Sunday the 12th.
}
}We won't change the developer's conference.  Do you have any idea of the
}magnitude of effort necessary to bring that many people into one place
}at one time?

}--Brian Bechtel     blob@apple.com     "My opinion, not Apple's"

Am I the only person who found it rather odd that that big (expensive?)
color poster that just came to everyone in our engineering deparment said
nothing more than _when_ the conference is?  The most amusing part is that
it has a registration form, on which you can select the days you wish to
attend.  _HOWEVER_, _NOWHERE_ on that big poster did it indicate _ANYTHING_
about _WHAT_ the agenda was for each day!

Should I guess?  "Gee, last year I went on Monday and Wednesday, so maybe
this year I'll go Tuesday and Friday?"  We generally don't send a whole
bunch of people there for the whole week (since we're based in San Jose)
since not every day has something interesting to offer every engineer.

Hopefully there's a more meaningful brochure / registration form coming
soon...  The color poster was kind of silly.

--Steve
--
----- Steve Lemke, KC6QDT - Software Engineering, Radius Inc., San Jose -----
----- Reply to: lemke@radius.com -- U.C. Santa Barbara ECE Class of '89 -----

ksand@Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik) (03/10/91)

In article <1417@radius.com> lemke@radius.com (Steve Lemke) writes:

>Am I the only person who found it rather odd that that big (expensive?)
>color poster that just came to everyone in our engineering deparment said
>nothing more than _when_ the conference is?  The most amusing part is that
>it has a registration form, on which you can select the days you wish to
>attend.  _HOWEVER_, _NOWHERE_ on that big poster did it indicate _ANYTHING_
>about _WHAT_ the agenda was for each day!

Well, it's hard to lock down the definite agenda for the whole WWDF
conference a long time before. For your information there is a preliminary
agenda, and each group assigned to activities in each technical area
had meetings last week discussing the topics that will be presented
during the conference.

So even if we can't make the definite agenda long time before, it's
also positive that we are able to fine tune the topics, so for instance
issues that are very actual could be presented during the conference.

I'm sure there's going to be more information agout the conference
topics soon.

Regards,
Kent Sandvik, MacDTS/Apple

--
Disclaimer: Private and personal activities on USENET, non-company sponsored

lemke@radius.com (Steve Lemke) (03/12/91)

to which ksand@Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik) responded:

>Well, it's hard to lock down the definite agenda for the whole WWDF
>conference a long time before....
>
>I'm sure there's going to be more information agout the conference
>topics soon.

I understand it's hard to nail it down, but it seems that the poster
(and the attached registration form) really only benefits people who
plan on attending the whole conference.  I was merely poking fun at
the checkboxes on the form for "which day(s) you wish to attend" since
I have nothing (yet) on which to base a decision of which days I plan
to attend.

In addition, we received several of these posters (probably one for every
person who attended last year), and nobody really payed any attention to
them for the exact reason I mentioned.  Thus we'll wait until something
arrives telling us which days we'll want to sign up for.

Oh well.

--Steve
--

andrew@jhereg.osa.com (Andrew C. Esh) (03/13/91)

In article <1417@radius.com> lemke@radius.com (Steve Lemke) writes:
>blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) writes:
>
>}aruigrok@bnr.ca (Adrian C Ruigrok) writes:
>}
>}>They tell me May 13-17th.  Registration is Sunday the 12th.
>}
>}We won't change the developer's conference.  Do you have any idea of the
>}magnitude of effort necessary to bring that many people into one place
>}at one time?
>
>}--Brian Bechtel     blob@apple.com     "My opinion, not Apple's"
>
>Am I the only person who found it rather odd that that big (expensive?)
>color poster that just came to everyone in our engineering deparment said
>nothing more than _when_ the conference is?  The most amusing part is that
>it has a registration form, on which you can select the days you wish to
>attend.  _HOWEVER_, _NOWHERE_ on that big poster did it indicate _ANYTHING_
>about _WHAT_ the agenda was for each day!
>
>Hopefully there's a more meaningful brochure / registration form coming
>soon...  The color poster was kind of silly.
>
>--Steve

I think they did it to get us to do exactly what you are doing: Run around
and ask everyone else what the deal is. You are providing advertising, and
you are targeting just the sort of people they want to reach. Nice trick.
--
Andrew C. Esh			andrew@osa.com
Open Systems Architects, Inc.

bobert@Autodesk.COM (Robert Murphy) (03/14/91)

In article <50060@apple.Apple.COM> ksand@Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik) writes:
>Well, it's hard to lock down the definite agenda for the whole WWDF
>conference a long time before. For your information there is a preliminary
>agenda, and each group assigned to activities in each technical area
>had meetings last week discussing the topics that will be presented
>during the conference.
>
>So even if we can't make the definite agenda long time before, it's
>also positive that we are able to fine tune the topics, so for instance
>issues that are very actual could be presented during the conference.
>
>I'm sure there's going to be more information agout the conference
>topics soon.
>
>Regards,
>Kent Sandvik, MacDTS/Apple
>
>--
>Disclaimer: Private and personal activities on USENET, non-company sponsored

It would be a big help if Apple would give some indication of the daily
agenda of the WWDC before the late-fee date.

Last year, I attended no sessions two of the five days of the WWDC because
nothing of interest to me was going on.  My experience the previous year was
similar.  Had I known at the time I registered, I could have saved my company
about $300 per day on registration fees, hotel rooms, and so on.

Fortunately, my company has enough money for this kind of thing.  Not
everyone does.  For example, this year, my girlfriend (a neophyte Mac
programmer) wants to attend - but since this would come out of our pockets,
we won't send in her registration until we see an agenda.  If this means
she doesn't go, so be it.

I understand how hard it is to come up with an agenda in a fast-changing
industry months before an event.  However, some kind of guide would be a
big help.

While I'm at it, let me lobby for my favorite WWDC proposed feature:
a technical fast track.  I swear, all of the technical information
presented in five days at the WWDC could be presented in two days if
the presenters didn't stop to explain things for the neophytes and
marketers in the crowd.  It would eliminate the 90% boredom factor I've
experienced the last two years.

Bob Murphy
bobert@autodesk.com

ech@cbnewsk.att.com (ned.horvath) (03/14/91)

From article <1991Mar13.154807.18869@jhereg.osa.com>, by andrew@jhereg.osa.com (Andrew C. Esh):
> I think they did it to get us to do exactly what you are doing: Run around
> and ask everyone else what the deal is. You are providing advertising, and
> you are targeting just the sort of people they want to reach. Nice trick.

Never attribute to malevolence (or diabolical cleverness) that which can
be explained by simple incompetence...

In this case, it isn't even incompetence.  Imagine you're in charge of
organizing this conference.  You have to book the hall, circuses, Dominos,
and Harry Anderson months in advance.  You have to go around to all the
PMs and engineers at Apple, ask them what's REALLY going to ship by then and
who's going to present what, and how it ties in with everything else, find
out what morning Scully will not be golfing so he can do a keynote, and you
have to have all that info be as current as possible.  And you have to
accurately publish it to 2000+ developers 60 days before the conference.
And it all has to be true at the time of the conference.

I submit that this is a logistical impossibility.  Fortunately, it doesn't
matter.

The appropriate strategy if you're local is to book the first two days,
when all the way-cool stuff is announced, and pool your money with two
other people to book a total of one day each of W-Th-F.  Swap badges
appropriately when the real schedule comes out Monday night :-). Everybody
gets to go to the Friday party anyway.

If you aren't local, it costs you close to $1K to attend just one day
(airfare is more or less constant from anywhere in the USA, plus two nights
in a hotel), so you might as well spend the $2K and buy the whole package.
Your mileage may vary depending on how much driving you can do without sleep
and whether you are willing to sleep in the back seat...

=Ned Horvath=

d88-jwa@byse.nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) (03/15/91)

In article <3332@autodesk.COM> bobert@Autodesk.COM (Robert Murphy) writes:

   While I'm at it, let me lobby for my favorite WWDC proposed feature:
   a technical fast track.  I swear, all of the technical information
   presented in five days at the WWDC could be presented in two days if
   the presenters didn't stop to explain things for the neophytes and

Hear ! Hear ! Once in a while, the net spouts a brilliant idea.
This is definately one of them. (Even though I wasn't there last
year, I will be now, and I'm generally familiar with the feeling
he describes...)

						h+@nada.kth.se
						Jon W{tte
--
"The IM-IV file manager chapter documents zillions of calls, all of which
seem to do almost the same thing and none of which seem to do what I want

ksand@Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik) (03/15/91)

In article <3332@autodesk.COM> bobert@Autodesk.COM (Robert Murphy) writes:

>It would be a big help if Apple would give some indication of the daily
>agenda of the WWDC before the late-fee date.
>I understand how hard it is to come up with an agenda in a fast-changing
>industry months before an event.  However, some kind of guide would be a
>big help.

These comments about a missing final agenda are valid ones (I would
personally complain), so I will try to push the WWDC arrangers so
they could present some kind of an agenda RSN.

>While I'm at it, let me lobby for my favorite WWDC proposed feature:
>a technical fast track.  I swear, all of the technical information
>presented in five days at the WWDC could be presented in two days if
>the presenters didn't stop to explain things for the neophytes and
>marketers in the crowd.  It would eliminate the 90% boredom factor I've
>experienced the last two years.

Don't know about the other sessions, but our two C++ sessions will
be no-fluff-marketing-talk, pure technical hacking discussion/presentation
sessions.

Regards,
Kent Sandvik, MacDTS
Disclaimer: Personal activity on USENET, don't send Apple flame emails to
me!!!

lemke@radius.com (Steve Lemke) (03/20/91)

d88-jwa@byse.nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) writes:

}In article <3332@autodesk.COM> bobert@Autodesk.COM (Robert Murphy) writes:
}
}   While I'm at it, let me lobby for my favorite WWDC proposed feature:
}   a technical fast track.  I swear, all of the technical information
}   presented in five days at the WWDC could be presented in two days if
}   the presenters didn't stop to explain things for the neophytes and
}
}Hear ! Hear ! Once in a while, the net spouts a brilliant idea.
}This is definately one of them. (Even though I wasn't there last
}year, I will be now, and I'm generally familiar with the feeling
}he describes...)

Nah, it's probably too late for them to plan a fast track...  :-)  :-)  :-)

--

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (03/20/91)

In article <1422@radius.com> lemke@radius.com (Steve Lemke) writes:
>d88-jwa@byse.nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) writes:
>
>}In article <3332@autodesk.COM> bobert@Autodesk.COM (Robert Murphy) writes:
>}
>}   While I'm at it, let me lobby for my favorite WWDC proposed feature:
>}   a technical fast track.  I swear, all of the technical information
>}   presented in five days at the WWDC could be presented in two days if
>}   the presenters didn't stop to explain things for the neophytes and
>}
>}Hear ! Hear ! Once in a while, the net spouts a brilliant idea.
>}This is definately one of them. (Even though I wasn't there last
>}year, I will be now, and I'm generally familiar with the feeling
>}he describes...)
>
>Nah, it's probably too late for them to plan a fast track...  :-)  :-)  :-)

I talked to the person in charge of the WWDC concerning Robert's idea.
She thought it was a good one, and she'll think about it for next
year.  For this year, she wanted to point out that the tracks will be
marked with expertise levels, and that novice questions in expert level
sessions would be discouraged.

Keith Rollin  ---  Apple Computer, Inc.
INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"But where the senses fail us, reason must step in."  - Galileo

ksand@Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik) (03/21/91)

In article <50503@apple.Apple.COM> keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) writes:

>>Nah, it's probably too late for them to plan a fast track...  :-)  :-)  :-)

>I talked to the person in charge of the WWDC concerning Robert's idea.
>She thought it was a good one, and she'll think about it for next
>year.  For this year, she wanted to point out that the tracks will be
>marked with expertise levels, and that novice questions in expert level
>sessions would be discouraged.

FYI, I've been twice involved in arranging a smaller DC in Australia, and
both times I pushed for a technoid-stream that would have highly technical
material during the three days. Both times *feedback* from developers said that
they did not like the idea. I think it has to do with the size of the
company, big companies send a lot of people to the Dev Conference, and
the technoids want to hear tech talk only, and the marketing people want
to hear about marketing.

With small companies the person that will attend the DC is both a
marketing person and technical lead, and maybe he/she is sent to the DC
in order to gain as much marketing and technical information as possible.

In Australia many of the companies were small, so we could not launch
a technical stream only because the same people did not want to miss
marketing sessions. This was the reason we had two half days dedicated
to marketing talks only, and technoids could spend their time hacking
or playing pinball.

Anyway, I also support the idea of a technical stream in the next year's
WWDC, but I just wanted to point out that many will attend the WWDC
for marketing information as well. Another idea that we are maybe
testing out this or next year is the concept of "Birds of a Feather"
sessions - those who have attended USENIX conferences knows about the
session type. I'm not sure yet about the outcome, but one idea is to have one
about C++/OOPS programming. Anyway BoFs are very informal, and information
about those are usually provided at the conference.

And if you're really bored with the marketing blurb talks, get over
to the MacDTS room :-).

Regards,
Kent Sandvik

--
Disclaimer: Private activity on the Net, in no way connected to any company.
Zippy++ says: END, END; or END. is sure clearer than "}".