[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MacTCP & System 7.0b4

brady@swift.cs.tcd.ie (03/16/91)

Does anyone know if MacTCP has been fixed yet for 7.0b4?
Thanks
Mike
brady@cs.tcd.ie

sfalken@caen.engin.umich.edu (Steve Falkenburg) (03/18/91)

In article <1991Mar15.233537.7831@swift.cs.tcd.ie>, brady@swift.cs.tcd.ie writes:

> Does anyone know if MacTCP has been fixed yet for 7.0b4?
> Thanks
> Mike
> brady@cs.tcd.ie

MacTCP _works_ under seven, and has at least since A9!
It has to be in the System Folder, not in the Extensions folder or the
Control Panels folder.  The problem is with end-user applications
programs that use the Dynamic Name Resolver.  Apple shipped code that
searches the currently blessed folder for MacTCP (by type and
creator).  Unfortunately, it does not look in these other folders.
The only real fix involves re-compiling all programs to work with
the new folders, and do a PBCatSearch in the extensions folder for
MacTCP.

Incedently, this is going to turn out to be a real problem in the
short term for 7, since most applications don't yet take
advantage of these new folders.  Please, Apple, at least fix
MacsBug so it's in the Extensions folder and Debugger Prefs is in
the Preferences Folder!

brady@swift.cs.tcd.ie (03/19/91)

In article <1991Mar18.013625.18058@engin.umich.edu>, sfalken@caen.engin.umich.edu (Steve Falkenburg) writes:
> MacTCP _works_ under seven, and has at least since A9!

If memory serves, Apple specifically said that MacTPC doesn't work in 7.0B4.
It did work in previous versions of System 7. In any case, going from 7.0B1
to 7.0B4, NCSA Telnet has stopped working...

Mike
brady@cs.tcd.ie

brady@swift.cs.tcd.ie (03/20/91)

In article <1991Mar18.013625.18058@engin.umich.edu>, sfalken@caen.engin.umich.edu (Steve Falkenburg) writes:
> In article <1991Mar15.233537.7831@swift.cs.tcd.ie>, brady@swift.cs.tcd.ie writes:
>
> MacTCP _works_ under seven, and has at least since A9!
> It has to be in the System Folder, not in the Extensions folder or the
> Control Panels folder.  The problem is with end-user applications
> programs that use the Dynamic Name Resolver.  Apple shipped code that
> searches the currently blessed folder for MacTCP (by type and
> creator).  Unfortunately, it does not look in these other folders.
> The only real fix involves re-compiling all programs to work with
> the new folders, and do a PBCatSearch in the extensions folder for
> MacTCP.

Steve is right! What annoys me is that I did experiment with the placement of
MacTCP in different folders for 7.0B1 and it worked fine. But I made the
mistake of believing the warning in Apple's Gift Pack documentation which
says: 'If you are using the current TCP/IP drivers (v 1.0.1 or 1.0.2), do
not upgrade to System 7b4.' It then talks about fixing incompatibilities, with
no hint of a workaround. Hey Apple, is there anyone home?
PS my workaround was to go back to Kermit.
PPS Apple's documentation is normally much better.

Mike
brady@cs.tcd.ie

nerm@Apple.COM (Dean Yu) (03/21/91)

In article <1991Mar19.101123.7836@swift.cs.tcd.ie> brady@swift.cs.tcd.ie writes:
>In article <1991Mar18.013625.18058@engin.umich.edu>, sfalken@caen.engin.umich.edu (Steve Falkenburg) writes:
>> MacTCP _works_ under seven, and has at least since A9!
>
>If memory serves, Apple specifically said that MacTPC doesn't work in 7.0B4.
>It did work in previous versions of System 7. In any case, going from 7.0B1
>to 7.0B4, NCSA Telnet has stopped working...

  MacTCP has always worked under 7.0.  (Trust me, I would know.  If it stopped
working, I'd go into withdrawal from lack of news.  :)
  If you did a live install of B4 onto B1, MacTCP probably got moved into
your Control Panels folder which would explain why it would stop working.

  -- Dean Yu
     Blue Meanie, Negative Ethnic Role Model, etc.
     Apple Computer, Inc.
     My opinions and so on and so forth...

boerned@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Dan Boerner) (03/21/91)

Not to be diagreeable, but I just read your message under 7.0b4 using
TelNet 2.3 TCP version. I'm on localtalk and there's a GatorBox between my
mac and the unix newserver.  ;-)

---
Dan Boerner
Oregon State University