[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MPW and modifying file resources

cegrw@cc.newcastle.edu.au (03/22/91)

I'm transferring files backwards and forwards off other machines frequently
and want the easiest way to modify the finder resources of the file so
that when I double click on them they fire MPW. I don't see any obviuos way
to do that in MPW with a script. Don't suggest Resedit since we are talking
mega files here.

Greg@AppleLink.Apple.Com (Greg Marriott) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar22.153520.9888@cc.newcastle.edu.au>, cegrw@cc.newcastle.edu.au writes:

> I'm transferring files backwards and forwards off other machines frequently
> and want the easiest way to modify the finder resources of the file so
> that when I double click on them they fire MPW. I don't see any obviuos way
> to do that in MPW with a script. Don't suggest Resedit since we are talking
> mega files here.

It's easy from MPW:

For aFile in `files disk:folderWhereTheFilesAre`
  SetFile -t TEXT -c 'MPS ' {aFile}
End

This will turn them all into MPW Shell documents.

Greg Marriott
Blue Meanie
Apple Computer, Inc.

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (03/22/91)

>I'm transferring files backwards and forwards off other machines frequently
>and want the easiest way to modify the finder resources of the file so
>that when I double click on them they fire MPW. I don't see any obviuos way
>to do that in MPW with a script.

What's wrong with:

SetFile -c "MPS " -t TEXT file-name-pattern
                  ^^^^^^^
		  optional

Ain't even gots ta be a script...
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Lanett) (03/24/91)

cegrw@cc.newcastle.edu.au writes:

>I'm transferring files backwards and forwards off other machines frequently
>and want the easiest way to modify the finder resources of the file so
>that when I double click on them they fire MPW. I don't see any obviuos way
>to do that in MPW with a script. Don't suggest Resedit since we are talking
>mega files here.

I once saw a HyperCard stack on sumex (in /card) that scans your hard drive and
converts creater codes, so you could tell it to convert ???? into MPS and
let it fly...

--
Mark Lanett						ml27192@uxa.cs.uiuc.edu