[comp.sys.mac.programmer] RESEDIT

ifocs9d@aucs.UUCP (Rick Giles) (03/23/88)

Apparently one can write an add-on editor for ResEdit. I am considering
doint this; writing drivers in Lightspeed C. Has anyone used Lightspeed C
to do this and, if so, could they send me info on the techniques/tools
they used? Thanks.

Rick Giles

sho@pur-phy (Sho Kuwamoto) (03/27/89)

Is there an ftp site somewhere where I can pick up the most recent version
of resedit?  The one I use the most is 1.2d1, which (judging from the 'd')
is not very safe.  Is there a good (like, say, legal) reason why the newest
version is not on sumex?  If not, could someone submit it?  Thanks.

-Sho

jnh@ece-csc.UUCP (Joseph Nathan Hall) (03/28/89)

In article <2079@pur-phy> sho@newton.physics.purdue.edu.UUCP (Sho Kuwamoto) writes:
>Is there an ftp site somewhere where I can pick up the most recent version
>of resedit?  The one I use the most is 1.2d1, which (judging from the 'd')
>is not very safe.  Is there a good (like, say, legal) reason why the newest
>version is not on sumex?  If not, could someone submit it?  Thanks.

I finally thought, what the hell, why not go ahead and order ResEdit and
documentation (and some other stuff) from APDA ... sure, it's probably not
the most cost-effective way to get this stuff but at least I'll get it.

Would you believe there's a 3-week shipping delay for ResEdit???

They say they're "out of it."  I'll say.

Meanwhile, my MacsBug manual and updated Programming for Multifinder have
arrived, and, I have to admit, the covers sure are pretty ...

--
v   v sssss|| joseph hall                      || 201-1D Hampton Lee Court
 v v s   s || jnh@ece-csc.ncsu.edu (Internet)  || Cary, NC  27511

malczews@nunki.usc.edu (Frank Malczewski) (03/29/89)

>Meanwhile, my MacsBug manual and updated Programming for Multifinder have
>arrived, and, I have to admit, the covers sure are pretty ...
>--
>v   v sssss|| joseph hall                      || 201-1D Hampton Lee Court
> v v s   s || jnh@ece-csc.ncsu.edu (Internet)  || Cary, NC  27511
>  v   sss  || the opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of my
>-----------|| employer, north carolina state university . . . . . . . . . . .

Yes, and the prices only doubled so we could get such nice covers!

jnh@ece-csc.UUCP (Joseph Nathan Hall) (03/30/89)

In article <2079@pur-phy> sho@newton.physics.purdue.edu.UUCP (Sho Kuwamoto) writes:
>Is there an ftp site somewhere where I can pick up the most recent version
>of resedit?  The one I use the most is 1.2d1, which (judging from the 'd')
>is not very safe.  Is there a good (like, say, legal) reason why the newest
>version is not on sumex?  If not, could someone submit it?  Thanks.

This reminds me of another question ...

I've used a half-dozen versions of ResEdit, from 0.9-something up through
1.2b2.  (I'm waiting for a copy of 1.2b3 now.)  All of them, with the
exception of 1.somethingdsomething have not worked properly under
MultiFinder.  In particular, the WIND, DLOG and ALRT editors don't update
the window placement display properly; instead they print portions of the
background windows in the display.  Real messy, and it makes interactive
use with, say, LSC a real pain.  I HAVE had a version, like I said, that
didn't have this problem, but I don't remember exactly which one it is.

Does anyone know if this is fixed in 1.2b3?

--

beard@ux3.lbl.gov (Patrick C Beard) (03/30/89)

In article <3985@ece-csc.UUCP> jnh@ece-csc.UUCP (Joseph Nathan Hall) writes:
>I've used a half-dozen versions of ResEdit, from 0.9-something up through
>1.2b2.  (I'm waiting for a copy of 1.2b3 now.)  All of them, with the
>exception of 1.somethingdsomething have not worked properly under
>MultiFinder.  In particular, the WIND, DLOG and ALRT editors don't update
>the window placement display properly; instead they print portions of the
>background windows in the display.
>
>Does anyone know if this is fixed in 1.2b3?

Yes.  It has been fixed, and it now works quite wonderfully.  Three cheers
for Apple.

 \   Patrick Beard                 "Badges?                       \
  \    Berkeley Systems, Inc.        I ain't got to show you...    \
   \      PCBeard@lbl.gov                 ...NO STINKING BADGES!"   \
    + ---------------------------------------------------------------+

jnh@ece-csc.UUCP (Joseph Nathan Hall) (03/31/89)

In article <3985@ece-csc.UUCP> jnh@ece-csc.UUCP (Joseph Nathan Hall) writes:
>I've used a half-dozen versions of ResEdit, from 0.9-something up through
>MultiFinder.  In particular, the WIND, DLOG and ALRT editors don't update
[properly]...

Whoops, I was poking around on my Mac and found another older version on
my HD that had somehow superseded 1.2b2 in the desktop.  My apologies for
the error.  1.2b2 works like a charm.
--

sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) (04/01/89)

In article <3982@ece-csc.UUCP> jnh@ece-csc.UUCP (Joseph Nathan Hall) writes:
>I finally thought, what the hell, why not go ahead and order ResEdit and
>documentation (and some other stuff) from APDA ... sure, it's probably not
>the most cost-effective way to get this stuff but at least I'll get it.
>
>Would you believe there's a 3-week shipping delay for ResEdit???
>
>They say they're "out of it."  I'll say.
>
>Meanwhile, my MacsBug manual and updated Programming for Multifinder have
>arrived, and, I have to admit, the covers sure are pretty ...

Indeed.  And I should add that the trolls at APDA must now be experts
in the art of Xerography, the preferred method of publishing Apple
documents.  No :-) here...

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

sho@pur-phy (Sho Kuwamoto) (04/06/89)

I just picked up resedit 1.3d1 from sumex.  (thanks to whoever sent
it there!).  Now for the big question....  Why are there no editors
for the new resource types?  A cicn editor would be nice.  Same for
color cursors.  And ppats, for that matter.  How long has the MacII
been out now?  At least they included TMPL's... (small consolation)

In a similar vein, why is it that (correct me if I'm wrong) the
Font/DA mover *still* doesn't handle NFNT's correctly?  Alas.

-Sho "still waiting for a complete system overhaul" Kuwamoto

heddle@clas01.cebaf.gov (David Heddle) (01/09/91)

Dear Friends:

Can anyone tell me where I can get the latest version of ResEdit (2.1?) ?
I feel like a dinosaur -- still using version 1.2.

cheers,
dph

rcs91900@zach.fit.edu ( Charles Stockman /ADVISOR-Clutterham) (01/10/91)

Hello I am now to the world of mac programming and can not even use res
edit ???

What I am trying to do is to create a window just by using res edit.  How
can I go about doing this ???

I have been able to create a window by modifing a different window, but I cannot
create one out of thin air.  Could someone tell me how to create one out of
thin air ???

Thanks a lot --> Charles Stockman

CAH0@bunny.gte.com (Chuck Hoffman) (01/11/91)

In article <1809@winnie.fit.edu> rcs91900@zach.fit.edu ( Charles Stockman
/ADVISOR-Clutterham) writes:
> Hello I am now to the world of mac programming and can not even use res
> edit ???
>
> What I am trying to do is to create a window just by using res edit.  How
> can I go about doing this ???
>
> I have been able to create a window by modifing a different window, but
I cannot
> create one out of thin air.  Could someone tell me how to create one out
of
> thin air ???

Out of thin air?  It's different depending on whether you have ResEdit 1.2
or 2.0:
For 2.0:
1) Launch ResEdit.
2) Click NEW on the standard file window.
3) Click NEW on the next standard file window.
4) From Resource menu, select "Create New Resource"
5) In "Select New Type" window, scroll to WIND, and click OK
6) In WIND ID window, edit the window (change it's size or location), if
desired.
7) From Resource menu, select "Get Resource Info"
8) Edit name and number, if desired.
9) Quit from File menu, click "Yes" to save.

From 1.2
1) Launch ResEdit
2) From File menu, select NEW, then fill in the name.
3) From File menu, select NEW again.
4) Scroll to WIND and click OK.
5) In WINDs window, select NEW
6) In WIND ID window, edit the window (size and location) if desired.
7) In File menu, select "Get Info", then edit number and name if desired.
8) Quit from File menu, click "Yes" to save.

The bad news is that you need to know a lot more about programming the Mac
to use the
window.  Call me or e-mail if you want more info.
-Chuck

- Chuck Hoffman, GTE Laboratories, Inc.  |  I'm not sure why we're here,
cah0@bunny.gte.com                       |  but I am sure that while we're
Telephone (U.S.A.) 617-466-2131          |  here, we're supposed to help
GTE VoiceNet: 679-2131                   |  each other.
GTE Telemail: C.HOFFMAN                  |

francis@uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (01/18/91)

In article <35043.2793F964@stjhmc.fidonet.org> Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Lawson English) writes:

   Charles Stockman -advisor-clutterha writes in a message to All

   CS-> I have been able to create a window by modifing a different window,
   CS-> but I cannot create one out of thin air. Could someone tell me
   CS-> how to create one out of  thin air ???

   Read Inside Macintosh Vol 1, and Mac Revealed Vol. 1 & 2.

No, no! He wanted to know how to do it with *ResEdit*, which isn't
even mentioned in IM.  (Don't know about Mac Revealed.)

--
/=============================================================================\
| Francis Stracke		| My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|

spencer@osc.edu (Stephen N. Spencer) (01/19/91)

In article <FRANCIS.91Jan18104048@daisy.uchicago.edu> francis@uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) writes:
>In article <35043.2793F964@stjhmc.fidonet.org> Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Lawson English) writes:
>   CS-> I have been able to create a window by modifing a different window,
>   CS-> but I cannot create one out of thin air. Could someone tell me
>   CS-> how to create one out of  thin air ???
>   Read Inside Macintosh Vol 1, and Mac Revealed Vol. 1 & 2.
>No, no! He wanted to know how to do it with *ResEdit*, which isn't
>even mentioned in IM.  (Don't know about Mac Revealed.)

Well, I know of two books which explain ResEdit really well.  The first is
the _Macintosh Programming Primer_, by Mark and Reed.  It's geared to those
who know C but don't know how to program the ToolBox using THINK C.  It uses
and explains (!) ResEdit all throughout the book.

The other book will be out in March, according to Addison-Wesley Publishing.
It is the "ResEdit Reference Manual".  Supposedly will be the same page size
as the Inside Macintosh volumes.  Will be available with and without a disk,
which I will assume (but may be wrong) will be ResEdit.  An early version
of this manual came out when ResEdit 2.0 was released, but it was allowed to
go out of print, and revisions made to it for ResEdit 2.1.

Stephen N. Spencer     |"Now you must dance the dance that you imply!
ACCAD   (614) 292-3416 | Your actions will follow you full circle round,
The Ohio State Univ.   | The higher the leap, I said,
1224 Kinnear Road      | The harder the ground!"
Columbus, OH 43212-1163|		- Amy Ray, "Center Stage"
spencer@cgrg.ohio-state.edu||71160.3141@compuserve.com||stephen_spencer@osu.edu

egw.weakm@p3.lanl.gov (Eric Wasserman) (01/19/91)

(Francis Stracke) writes:
>    CS-> I have been able to create a window by modifing a different
window,
>    CS-> but I cannot create one out of thin air. Could someone tell me
>    CS-> how to create one out of  thin air ???
>
>    Read Inside Macintosh Vol 1, and Mac Revealed Vol. 1 & 2.

Try the "Macintosh Programming Primer" by Mark Reed.  It discusses both
using ResEdit and basic programming.  Its a nice book.

Eric
egw.weakm@p3.lanl.gov

roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (01/19/91)

spencer@cgrg.ohio-state.edu (Stephen N. Spencer) writes:
> The first is the _Macintosh Programming Primer_, by Mark and Reed.  It's
> geared to those who know C but don't know how to program the ToolBox
> using THINK C.  It uses and explains (!) ResEdit all throughout the book.

	I second that.  It's how I learned Mac Programming.  The best trick
(sort of silly, but comforting to us old "toggle in binary on the front
panel switches" types) is an example of how to use ResEdit to build a
perfectly complete double-clickable application without resorting to using
the compiler at all.  It doesn't do much; just puts a window up and exits
as soon as it gets any event, but it's a real application.  As I remember,
you use ResEdit to build a WDEF resource and then hand-craft a CODE
resource by poking a few hex words which just makes a couple of appropriate
traps.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"Arcane?  Did you say arcane?  It wouldn't be Unix if it wasn't arcane!"

Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Lawson English) (01/22/91)

Stephen N. Spencer writes in a message to All

SNS> The other book will be out in March, according to Addison-Wesley
SNS> Publishing. It is the "ResEdit Reference Manual". Supposedly
SNS> will be the same page size as the Inside Macintosh volumes. Will
SNS> be available with and without a disk

I have the Resedit Reference Manual; got it last year...

The 'WIND' resource editor is described: It's one paragraph long.

Lawson

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!300!15.88!Lawson.English
Internet: Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org

Jim.Spencer@p510.f22.n282.z1.fidonet.org (Jim Spencer) (01/28/91)

john a feinberg writes in a message to All

JAF> I read in one of the Info-Mac digests that Addison Wesley will
JAF> be publishing a book called 'Using ResEdit', or something along
JAF> those lines, that will include a disk with ResEdit 2.1 on it.
JAF> Hopefully the computer gods will look favourably upon this tome
JAF> and make it available at B. Daltons around the country, so I
JAF> can buy myself a copy the second I see it!

I don't know about the final version but a so called Apple Development Document (which is supposed to be a cheap print book for software that changes frequently) entitled ResEdit Reference is begin published by Addison Wesley and is already in book stores.  The copy I've got covers 2.0b2 but I haven't found any significant changes in the document from 2.1 final.  It explains how to use the program and how to write your own templates, editors and pickers.

--
Jim Spencer - via The Minnesota Macintosh Users Group UUCP-Fido Gateway
UUCP: ...uunet!tcnet!kksys!edgar!mmug!22.510!Jim.Spencer

Curbow@apple.com (David Curbow) (01/29/91)

I'm not trying to advertise a collegue's book, but "ResEdit Complete" by
Peter Alley and Carolyn Strange may be of interest. Peter was Project
Leader and codesigner of ResEdit 2.1. At 530+ pages, with ResEdit 2.1 on a
disk, the book is very complete. It is published by Addison Wesley and was
first available at MacWorld.

Note: This book is not the Apple reference manual. I'm not certain of the
reference manual's release date.

Dave Curbow
Human Interface Designer
Development Systems Group
Apple Computer

Jim.Spencer@p510.f22.n282.z1.mmug.edgar.mn.org (Jim Spencer) (01/31/91)

David Curbow writes in a message to All

DC> Note: This book is not the Apple reference manual. I'm not certain
DC> of the reference manual's release date.

In fact, the Apple reference manual, in the form of a "Developement Document" is already in book stores.  The latest edition I've seen (actually the only edition I've seen) covers 2.0b2 and really is a paper bound update of what APDA used to sell in loose leaf form with the ResEdit package.

--
Jim Spencer - via The Minnesota Macintosh Users Group UUCP-Fido Gateway
UUCP: ...uunet!tcnet!kksys!edgar!mmug!22.510!Jim.Spencer
INET: Jim.Spencer@p510.f22.n282.z1.mmug.edgar.mn.org

jp48+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jonathan Pace) (02/17/91)

   Where can someone get ResEdit 2.1 ?

   Also, since Think C is going to make me use ResEdit, where can I get some
instructions on how to use it?

Jon Pace

egpv29@castle.ed.ac.uk (JHenderson) (02/19/91)

In article <AbjMsZK00WB9AJXo1c@andrew.cmu.edu> jp48+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jonathan Pace) writes:
#
#   Where can someone get ResEdit 2.1 ?
#
#   Also, since Think C is going to make me use ResEdit, where can I get some
#instructions on how to use it?
#
It's on disk 4 of THINK C 4

--
--Jeremy
         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

jp48+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jonathan Pace) (02/20/91)

Jeremy Henderson writes:
> ResEdit is on disk 4 of Think C.

   That's true, but I got ResEdit 1.2 when I'm looking for 2.1.

   I've gotten 2.1 now, and I've been told that the Apple ResEdit Reference
manual is coming out soon.  Anybody know if the thing is worth the $13 price
tag?

Jon

cabruen@athena.mit.edu (Charles Alan Bruen) (02/20/91)

In article <8600@castle.ed.ac.uk> egpv29@castle.ed.ac.uk (JHenderson) writes:
>#   Where can someone get ResEdit 2.1 ?
>#
>#   Also, since Think C is going to make me use ResEdit, where can I get some
>#instructions on how to use it?
>#
>It's on disk 4 of THINK C 4
>
>--Jeremy
>         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>                                            <egpv29@castle.ed.ac.uk>

I got THINK C 4.0 and it only has ResEdit 1.2.

Did I get ripped off?

-Charles Bruen
 Aero/Astro MIT
 cabruen@athena.mit.edu

russ@convex.COM (Russell Donnan) (02/23/91)

In article <8600@castle.ed.ac.uk> egpv29@castle.ed.ac.uk (JHenderson) writes:
>In article <AbjMsZK00WB9AJXo1c@andrew.cmu.edu> jp48+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jonathan Pace) writes:
>#
>#   Where can someone get ResEdit 2.1 ?
>#
>#   Also, since Think C is going to make me use ResEdit, where can I get some
>#instructions on how to use it?
>#
>It's on disk 4 of THINK C 4

Well, now that depends on when you BOUGHT ThinkC 4.  I ordered mine as an
upgrade way back when ('72?), and it has v1.2 on it.  The best way, IMHO,
is to go to your local Apple dealer and coerce them into downloading it
for you off AppleLink.  If enough people did this, and there were enough
complaints, Apple may rethink putting the file on ftp.apple.com.
--
Russ Donnan, (214) 497-4778, russ@convex.com
Convex Computer Corporation, 3000 Waterview Parkway, Richardson, TX

Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Lawson English) (02/25/91)

Jonathan Pace writes in a message to All

JP> I've gotten 2.1 now, and I've been told that the Apple ResEdit
JP> Reference manual is coming out soon. Anybody know if the thing
JP> is worth the $13 price tag?

I have the Beta version. If you are looking to write your own custom editors
and pickers, it is worthwhile. The explanation of the new bundle bit editor
is nice as well. Everything else is pretty intuitive unless you need to create
your own resource types...

Lawson

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!300!15.88!Lawson.English
Internet: Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org

Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Lawson English) (02/25/91)

Charles Alan Bruen writes in a message to All

CAB>  got THINK C 4.0 and it only has ResEdit 1.2.
CAB> Did I get ripped off?

More than likely 1.2 was the only final version available when you bought your
disks. As 2.x is available for free from many BBS's and online services, or
from a friend, I don't think that you can claim that you were ripped off. $30.00
will get you the disk and book from APDA. $13 will get you the book alone from
your local bookstore.

Lawson

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!300!15.88!Lawson.English
Internet: Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org

schorsch@oxy.edu (Brent William Schorsch) (02/28/91)

Re: ResEdit 2.1
There are a lot of us who bought ThinkC 4.0 a while ago (before
ResEdit 2.1 was released) where can we get it?
What are the differences between this and some of the beta versions
floating around out there? (2.0B2, 2.1B3, 2.1B5, ...)
It seems like perhaps there are some things inthe newest beta that
developers get which is not in 2.1... is this ture? (I know it
doesn't make sense with the numbering sceme, but...)
-Brent (schorsch@oxy.edu)

Ambrose.Earle@f444.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Ambrose Earle) (03/25/91)

Has anyone else experienced problems using ResEdit 2.1 to open FONT
resources?  I have, it crashes when I try to open them.  Anyone out there
with any information?  Ambrose Earle

--
Ambrose Earle - via FidoNet node 1:125/777
    UUCP: ...!uunet!hoptoad!fidogate!161!444!Ambrose.Earle