[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Listening for a session with ASP/Appletalk

rjohnson@seas.gwu.edu (Ray Johnson) (03/21/91)

How do you configure a socket to listen for a session?  IM5 gives commands
and information for opening sessions, however, it doesn't say much about
how to listen for the OpenSession comand.

What I need to know how to first listen for the OpenSession command and then
how to recieve subsequent comands from that session.

Thanks for your help.  (But why is this information not in InsideMac?)

--
Ray Johnson
Internet: rjohnson@seas.gwu.edu       Phone: (202)994-6853

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (03/21/91)

In article <2902@sparko.gwu.edu>, rjohnson@seas.gwu.edu (Ray Johnson) writes:

> How do you configure a socket to listen for a session?  IM5 gives commands
> and information for opening sessions, however, it doesn't say much about
> how to listen for the OpenSession comand.
>
> What I need to know how to first listen for the OpenSession command and then
> how to recieve subsequent comands from that session.
>
> Thanks for your help.  (But why is this information not in InsideMac?)

Apple never really documented AppleTalk Session Protocol (ASP) very well
- especially if you want to act as a server.  They don't provide access
to the server side of the protocol, some products use it, but do a
lot of the work themselves (FileMaker for example).

Have a look at AppleTalk Data Stream Protocol (ADSP).  Most things
that seem like a good fit for ASP can be done as well or better using
ADSP - and it's well documented.

-- michael

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE

urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) (03/26/91)

In comp.sys.mac.programmer, article <2902@sparko.gwu.edu>,
  rjohnson@seas.gwu.edu (Ray Johnson) writes:
< How do you configure a socket to listen for a session?  IM5 gives commands
< and information for opening sessions, however, it doesn't say much about
< how to listen for the OpenSession comand.
<
Very easy, you open an ATP socket, listen for it, and then handle all the
rest yourself -- there isn't any .ASP driver for servers.

You might want to look at the source code for SingleShare (FTP to
iraun1.ira.uka.de, in /pub/mac).

--
Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs@smurf.sub.org -- urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de     /(o\
Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49-721-621127(0700-2330)   \o)/