[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Implementing Virtual Memory...

wayner@CS.Cornell.EDU (Peter Wayner) (03/26/91)

I have an interesting problem. I need to implement a virtual
memory system that will manage about 2 to 3 megabytes of data
and swap them in bit by bit. I was wondering if it is a good
idea to use the Resource Manager to do this by creating my
own type of data resource and then letting it do the swapping?

Has anyone tried this? Is this brain dead?

Thanks,

Peter Wayner

--
Peter Wayner   Department of Computer Science Cornell Univ. Ithaca, NY 14850
EMail:wayner@cs.cornell.edu    Office: 607-255-9202 or 255-1008

wayner@CS.Cornell.EDU (Peter Wayner) writes:

>I have an interesting problem. I need to implement a virtual
>memory system that will manage about 2 to 3 megabytes of data
>and swap them in bit by bit. I was wondering if it is a good
>idea to use the Resource Manager to do this by creating my
>own type of data resource and then letting it do the swapping?

>Has anyone tried this? Is this brain dead?

Okay, I just went poking through the Tech Reports and found
Tech Note 203 which describes all sorts of ways to abuse the
Resource Manager. It sez that having too many resources
degrades performance. I want to store the 2-3 megabytes in
about 36-76 chunks. Thats about 100k per chunk. Is this
"acceptable". Does anyone have experience with this sort
of performance?

Thanks

-Peter

--
Peter Wayner   Department of Computer Science Cornell Univ. Ithaca, NY 14850
EMail:wayner@cs.cornell.edu    Office: 607-255-9202 or 255-1008
Home: 116 Oak Ave, Ithaca, NY 14850  Phone: 607-277-6678

jwhitnell@cup.portal.com (Jerry D Whitnell) (03/27/91)

This message is empty.