[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Experience with GCC on MPW?

rensing@pixel.SLAC.Stanford.EDU (Paul Rensing) (03/21/91)

Does anyone out there have any experience, good or bad, with the
fairly recent port of GNU GCC to MPW? I am unhappy with Think C and am
contemplating getting MPW; however $400 to the MPW/C bundle seems a
bit rich for me.

Please send replies by e-mail. I will post a summary if I getting any
useful info.

Paul Rensing

py198723@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Eugenio Sanchez Pe~a) (03/21/91)

rensing@pixel.SLAC.Stanford.EDU (Paul Rensing) writes:

>Does anyone out there have any experience, good or bad, with the
>fairly recent port of GNU GCC to MPW?

	The GNU project has as a deadline not to develop anything for the
Macintosh, since Apple is claiming exclusive rights for their look-and-feel
interface. Perhaps someone took the front-end sources and made his own
C compiler, but it shouldn't be named 'GCC'.

Eugenio Sanchez			|  Todo lo que diga es responsabilidad de la
py198723@academ01.mty.itesm.mx	|  unica neurona que tengo trabajando.
jsanchez@roxette.mty.itesm.mx	|  'Si os dan papel pautado, escribid por el
jsanchez@foreigner.mty.itesm.mx	|   otro lado' - J. Ramon Jimenez
py198723@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx	|  All opinions r mine; I try to be original.

time (Tim Endres) (03/21/91)

In article <3101@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx>, py198723@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Eugenio Sanchez Pe~a) writes:
> 	The GNU project has as a deadline not to develop anything for the
> Macintosh, since Apple is claiming exclusive rights for their look-and-feel
> interface. Perhaps someone took the front-end sources and made his own
> C compiler, but it shouldn't be named 'GCC'.

No. Someone took the gcc compiler and ported it to MPW.
It is gcc. Check the source license. By GNU's very own manifesto and
license, the port is allowed. GNU simply refuses to exhaust any of
*its* valuable resources doing this work. Thus, the MPW gcc work is
somewhat of an orphan in that GNU will neither support nor redistribute
it.

Tim Endres                |  time@ice.com
ICE Engineering           |  uupsi!ice.com!time
8840 Main Street          |  Voice            FAX
Whitmore Lake MI. 48189   |  (313) 449 8288   (313) 449 9208

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (03/22/91)

I've looked at gcc for MPW.  It's a drop-in replacement for the C
compiler; You still need the C glue and libraries, so it won't save
you any money.

As I recall, the dox claim 15-20% speed improvement in generated
code. Impressive, until you consider that most apps spend much of
their time in ROM anyway, where which C compiler you use is no more
relevant that your shoe size.

I've hesitated to use it because it isn't SADE-compatible, and
about the last thing I need is a different compiler for debugging
than for production.  I have a lot of confidence in gcc, but not
THAT much.

Now, if someone were to port gdb, I'd switch to gcc/gdb in a big
hurry.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

jeffh@HyperMail.apple.com (Jeff Holcomb) (03/22/91)

In article <3101@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx>, py198723@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Eugenio Sanchez Pe~a) writes:

> 	The GNU project has as a deadline not to develop anything for the
> Macintosh, since Apple is claiming exclusive rights for their look-and-feel
> interface. Perhaps someone took the front-end sources and made his own
> C compiler, but it shouldn't be named 'GCC'.

FYI, as part of a research project within ATG at Apple, Stan Shebs ported GCC
to MPW.  As a result, MPW GCC is now available via anonymous ftp from
apple.com or from anybody else that has a copy.  It is not an "official Apple
product", though if you have questions or problems, you can direct them to
mpwgcc@apple.com and we'll try to answer them or solve them when we have time.

------------
Jeff Holcomb
Apple ATG System Software
jeffh@HyperMail.apple.com

Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Lawson English) (03/22/91)

Eugenio Sanchez Pe~a writes in a message to All

>Does anyone out there have any experience, good or bad, with the
>fairly recent port of GNU GCC to MPW?
ESP>   The GNU project has as a deadline not to develop anything for
ESP> the Macintosh, since Apple is claiming exclusive rights for their
ESP> look-and-feel interface. Perhaps someone took the front-end sources
ESP> and made his own C compiler, but it shouldn't be named 'GCC'.

Aw...

Does someone resent the idea that it might be illegal to make use of 7 years
of work and zillions of dollars of R&D without paying for it? Poor babies...

(includes most of the computer industry I'm afraid... but then again, how many
programmers are also artists? "Source code should be copy-right-able but not
ICONs or User-Interface attributes" (Get real, oh wondrous members of the ACM
--artists have rights and abilities too, and their work for a company deserves
equal protection under the Law))

Lawson

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!300!15.88!Lawson.English
Internet: Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org

esink@turia.dit.upm.es (Eric Wayne Sink) (03/26/91)

In article <1991Mar21.174731.29262@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:
>I've looked at gcc for MPW.  It's a drop-in replacement for the C
>compiler; You still need the C glue and libraries, so it won't save
>you any money.

Is it not true that APDA sells the interfaces and libraries for MPW
as a separate product (for a LOT less than MPW C) ?

Eric

Eric W. Sink                     | Putting the phrase      |All opinions
Departamento de Telematica       | "Frequently Asked"      |are mine and
Universidad Politecnica de Madrid| in your kill file is    |not necessarily
esink@turia.dit.upm.es           | not recommended.        |yours.

jordan@Apple.COM (Jordan Mattson) (03/27/91)

Dear Eric -
  You are correct that the MPW Interfaces and Libraries are available as a
seprate product from APDA.  In this package you will find the Assembler,
C, and Pascal interfaces and libraries needed to access the Macintosh
Toolbox.

Jordan

--

Jordan Mattson                         UUCP:      jordan@apple.apple.com