[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Can't seem to draw a PICT

davidr@searchtech.com (David Resnick) (03/27/91)

	I'm using MPW C++ and am having a huge amount of trouble
doing something which seems like it should be fairly easy.  I'm
new to the MacIntosh, but I have read most of Inside MacIntosh
vol. I, and feel like I should be able to do some stuff now.  I
want to draw a picture from a PICT file in a window.  Unfortunately,
when I get to the call to DrawPicture, I get an alarm box with
"The application TEST has unexpectedly quit(2)."  TEST is the
name of my program.   As far as I can tell from Inside MacIntosh,
Elements of Mac Programming by Dan Weston, and various other
books, it should work, but it doesn't.

	An interesting twist occurs when I try to added some
stuff that write a debug messages to an ostrstream just
before the call to DrawPicture.  The program then suddenly
works okay, with the picture appearing in the window that the
debug message goes to.

	Does this ring a bell with anyone?  Can anyone supply me
with a simple little working MPW C++ example program that performs
this task so that I can see if I'm missing something simple?  After
more than two days of trial and error, I'm becoming just a little
frustrated.  Many thanks in advance.

--
David E. Resnick                                davidr@srchtec.uucp (registered)
search technology, inc.				           davidr@searchtech.com

Louis.Pecora@f421.n109.z1.Fidonet.Org (Louis Pecora) (03/28/91)

I don't have a solution for you, but I strongly urge you to read the
book Macintosh Programming Primer by Mark and Reed, which is a nice
introduction to Mac Programming in C (Think C, but you should be able
to easily convert to MPW C (and therefore C++)). They have several
examples which seem to be just what you're trying to  do.
  --- Lou Pecora

 * Origin: Twilight Clone: Macintosh Files - 301-946-8677 (1:109/421)