[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Using the whole screen.

sho@tybalt.caltech.edu (Sho Kuwamoto) (03/15/88)

In article <7669@apple.Apple.Com> goldman@apple.UUCP (Phil Goldman) writes:
>In article <2145@polya.STANFORD.EDU> rwilson@polya.stanford.edu () writes:
>>First, does anyone know how to get a
>>window to overlay the menu bar?
>
>There isn't anything that's very clean, but there are a couple of things you
>can do:
>(1)  Set the menu bar height to 0.  HyperCard does this to get rid of the menu
>bar.
>(2)  Change the clipping in the wmgrport.  This is pretty gross, and could have
>some nasty side effects.  Therefore, option (1) is much more preferable, given
>that you're determined to do this.

Are you sure Hypercard *just* sets the menubar height to zero?  I
could imagine it does this in addition to setting the clipping of the
wMgrPort etc., but notice that the bottom corners of the screen become
rectangular when you swtich the menubar off.  Hurm.

In either case, I thought you also had to modify the grayRgn (Which
you can now get at through a routine instead of using a low memory
global.  Hurrah!) or maybe both the grayRgn and the wMgrPort clipRgn.

						-Sho
 (sho@tybalt.caltech.edu, sho@caltech.bitnet, ...!cit-vax!tybalt!sho)

jeff@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Jefferson Provost) (04/05/91)

Greetings,

I'm working on an application that, at certain times, needs to use the
whole screen, inluding the area occupied by the menu bar, and the area
outside the rounded corners of the screen's region.

Currently, at the time I need to start using the whole screen, I set the
current port's clipRgn, and visRgn to the rect defined by the boundaries
of the the screen  ( (0,0) (640,48)  on my machine).  Then I clear the
screen, and it clears properly, but it seems as if the visRgn and/or
clipRgn is reset to its old extent, excluding the menubar and corners.
I don't manually change either region anywhere else in the code, but it
seems as if something in QuickDraw is resetting it,  unbeknownst to me.

I'm obviously missing something. Can anyone our there tell me what?

Thanx,

Jeff

Jefferson Provost --  jeff@unix.cis.pitt.edu

Nothin' left to do but :-) ;-) :-)