[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Launching a background application

Eric.J.Baumgartner@dartmouth.edu (Eric J. Baumgartner) (03/24/91)

Does anyone know how to launch another application from your own code,
but have the launching application remain in the foreground?  _Launch
doesn't seem to want to do that.  This would be quite useful 'cause I
want to launch an app. designed to run in the background, and the user
shouldn't have to do anything to return to where they started.  (In
fact, they don't even need to know it's been done.)

Please respond via email; I'll summerize if there's interest.

Eric Baumgartner                      Internet:  ebaum@dartmouth.edu
Interactive Media Lab                 Applelink: DARTMED
Dartmouth Medical School              -- This space for rent. --

niko@iastate.edu (Schuessler Nikolaus E) (03/24/91)

In article <1991Mar23.172617.22947@dartvax.dartmouth.edu> Eric.J.Baumgartner@dartmouth.edu (Eric J. Baumgartner) writes:
>Does anyone know how to launch another application from your own code,
>but have the launching application remain in the foreground?  _Launch
>doesn't seem to want to do that.  This would be quite useful 'cause I
>want to launch an app. designed to run in the background, and the user
>shouldn't have to do anything to return to where they started.  (In
>fact, they don't even need to know it's been done.)
>
>Please respond via email; I'll summerize if there's interest.

I'd be interested in seeing if it's possible ......

Niko Schuessler
niko@iastate.edu

--

peter@runx.oz.au (Peter Marks) (04/10/91)

I haven't tried this but if an app has the bits in its size resource
set so that canBackground and onlyBackground are both set then the
sublaunched app (with no user interface etc) will stay in the background.

This might be useful for some sort of IAC server application.

Peter.
--
peter@runxtsa.runx.oz