[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Format of file resource fork ?

esink@turia.dit.upm.es (04/10/91)

Could someone tell me what the format of the resource fork is ?  I'm not
looking for formats of individual resources, just how the resources
are arranged in the file.

I'm envisioning something like this :

Start of fork
Resource
Resource
Resource
Resource
End of fork

where the general format of resource is something like :

Byte            Contents
0-3             Resource type (ie 'CODE')
4-5             Resource ID
6-9             Length of resource

I have no idea if this is even close, and I assume there are
fields which I am missing (like a resource name ?).

Any information appreciated, thanks in advance.

Eric

Eric W. Sink                     | Putting the phrase      |All opinions
Departamento de Telematica       | "Frequently Asked"      |are mine and
Universidad Politecnica de Madrid| in your kill file is    |not necessarily
esink@turia.dit.upm.es           | not recommended.        |yours.

neeri@iis.ethz.ch (Matthias Ulrich Neeracher) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr10.123353.13597@dit.upm.es>, esink@turia.dit.upm.es writes:

>Could someone tell me what the format of the resource fork is ?  I'm not
>looking for formats of individual resources, just how the resources
>are arranged in the file.
>[...]

The actual format is quite different from the one you thought it might be.
It is described near the end of the Resource Manager chapter of Inside
Macintosh I.

>Eric
>
>Eric W. Sink                     | Putting the phrase      |All opinions
>Departamento de Telematica       | "Frequently Asked"      |are mine and
>Universidad Politecnica de Madrid| in your kill file is    |not necessarily
>esink@turia.dit.upm.es           | not recommended.        |yours.

Oh, are you the poster which went to Spain and left its Inside Macintosh
in the USA ? In that case, I might post or email the description.

Matthias

--
Matthias Neeracher                                      neeri@iis.ethz.ch
   "These days, though, you have to be pretty technical before you can

esink@turia.dit.upm.es (Eric Wayne Sink) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr11.172012.4318@bernina.ethz.ch> neeri@iis.ethz.ch writes:

>Oh, are you the poster which went to Spain and left its Inside Macintosh
>in the USA ? In that case, I might post or email the description.
>
>Matthias Neeracher                                      neeri@iis.ethz.ch

Didn't realize I was drawing enough attention to myself to be
remembered from note to note.  Yes, I will freely admit that
what I am doing is not all that bright.  Attempting a major
Macintosh programming project without any Macintosh documentation
(and without a Mac for that matter!) is an exercise in
frustration and futility.  I knew nothing about my situation
when I came to Spain, so I didn't bring anything that wasn't
absolutely necessary (ie Inside Mac).  My approach has been to
grab whatever information I can through ftp and an occasional
stupid question to the net.  I apologize for asking questions
when I often know darn well where to find the answer.  I try
not to do it very often, and since I understand that I am
riding the ragged edge of netiquette, I invite anyone to
ignore such requests if they want to do so.  Besides, I am
hoping that many of the net readers will benefit from this
project when it is done.  When I get back to the US in
August, I'll test my project on a real Mac, verifying
its code using real documentation.  Until then, I keep digging,
and I'll try and ask a few less dumb questions.

Thanks for your patience. :-)

Eric

Eric W. Sink                     | "If no one is criticizing |Opinions
Departamento de Telematica       | your work, it is possible |mine -
Universidad Politecnica de Madrid| that you are not doing    |all of
esink@turia.dit.upm.es           | anything." -George Verwer |them.