[comp.sys.mac.programmer] sysEnvirons

rj0z+@andrew.cmu.edu (Robert George Johnston, Jr.) (10/31/88)

    What changes have been made to the SysEnvirons call since the
introduction of the Macintosh IIx? New constants for machine type? More
information returned?

    Thank you.

    Rob Johnston.

denn@violet.berkeley.edu (Leonard Rosenthol) (10/31/88)

In article <EXOqWay00Uw9EFqkQt@andrew.cmu.edu> rj0z+@andrew.cmu.edu (Robert George Johnston, Jr.) writes:

>    What changes have been made to the SysEnvirons call since the
>introduction of the Macintosh IIx? New constants for machine type? More
>information returned?

	Depending on the version of the System Software that you are running, what
is returned from SysEnvirons on a IIx will vary.  In System 6.0 and 6.0.1,
there are new constants for machine type, and processor type(which are one
greater than the previous highest values) when you call SysEnvirons with
a versionRequested of 1.  In System 6.0.2 and later (no comment!), there is now
a version 2 which you can request.  Currently there are no new fields to the
SysEnvRec, but you will get the values for not only the IIx, but if you happen
to have one - other unreleased machines.
	To my knowledge this has not (yet) been published by Apple, but they are
readying a revised Tech Note for the SysEnvirons call to describe all of these
changes.  My information if from MacDTS, so take it for what that's worth :-)

/* ============================================================ */
/*  Leonard Rosenthol           | GEnie:  MACgician             */
/*  President, Lazerware inc.   | Delphi: MACgician             */
/*                              | MacNet: MACgician             */
/*  denn@violet.berkeley.edu    | AppleLink: D0025              */

thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) (11/01/88)

In article <16244@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> denn@violet.berkeley.edu (Leonard Rosenthol) writes:
>In article <EXOqWay00Uw9EFqkQt@andrew.cmu.edu> rj0z+@andrew.cmu.edu (Robert George Johnston, Jr.) writes:
>>
>>    What changes have been made to the SysEnvirons call since the
>>introduction of the Macintosh IIx? New constants for machine type? More
>>information returned?
>>
>Depending on the version of the System Software that you are running, what
>is returned from SysEnvirons on a IIx will vary.  In System 6.0 and 6.0.1,
>there are new constants for machine type, and processor type(which are one
>greater than the previous highest values) when you call SysEnvirons with
>a versionRequested of 1.  In System 6.0.2 and later (no comment!), there is now
>a version 2 which you can request.  Currently there are no new fields to the
>SysEnvRec, but you will get the values for not only the IIx, but if you happen
>to have one - other unreleased machines.

 Does the version 2 SysEnvirons return the correct value for a 68882
coprocessor on the IIx? Previous versions only checked for the 68881, and
returned FALSE in hasFPU if any other FPU (like the 68882) was installed.
I understand Excel had some problems with the IIx for this reason...

 Is there now, or will there be, an integer returned to determine the
*type* of coprocessor? (not just the existence of *a* coprocessor)...

[line fodder]
[line fodder]
[line fodder]
[line fodder]
[line fodder]

--
==========      .......     ===========================================
Ken McLeod     :.     .:    uucp: {spsd, zardoz, felix}!dhw68k!thecloud

denn@violet.berkeley.edu (Leonard Rosenthol) (11/03/88)

In article <14333@dhw68k.cts.com> thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) writes:

> [my comments about SysEnvirons 2]
>
> Does the version 2 SysEnvirons return the correct value for a 68882
>coprocessor on the IIx? Previous versions only checked for the 68881, and
>returned FALSE in hasFPU if any other FPU (like the 68882) was installed.
>I understand Excel had some problems with the IIx for this reason...

	SysEnvirons (v1 and 2) in System 6.0.2 and later will return hasFPU TRUE
if either a 881 or 882 is installed.  This was not the reason that Excel
fails, it is becuase Excel does not use SysEnvirons to test, it does its
own testing for the 881 and that test fails for the 882 in the IIx.

> Is there now, or will there be, an integer returned to determine the
>*type* of coprocessor? (not just the existence of *a* coprocessor)...

	Anything is possiblie, though currently I don't see why you would need to
know whether it was an 881 or 882...

/* ============================================================ */
/*  Leonard Rosenthol           | GEnie:  MACgician             */
/*  President, Lazerware inc.   | Delphi: MACgician             */
/*                              | MacNet: MACgician             */
/*  denn@violet.berkeley.edu    | AppleLink: D0025              */

anderson@Apple.COM (Clark Anderson) (05/29/90)

Sigh...
Here it is, 11:18 PM Monday night, and all
I wanna do is a SysEnvirons to see if I've
got a color machine or not and...
LSP doesn't know what a SysEnvPtr is.
I've looked in all the interfaces I could find
(did I miss one?) and couldn't find it.
 SysEnvirons isn't in ROM, but
I can't imagine that LSP doesn't support it.
(I have LSP 3.0, and 6.0.5 on my Mac)

Truly, any help would be gratefully appreciated...

                          --clark

Clark Anderson                  InterNet:  anderson@apple.com
CPU Engineering                 AppleLink: C.ANDERSON
Apple Computer, Inc             BellNet:   408-974-4593

"I speak only for myself, much to my employer's relief..."

dawyd@gargoyle.uchicago.edu (David Walton) (05/29/90)

In article <41411@apple.Apple.COM> anderson@Apple.COM (Clark Anderson) writes:

>Sigh...
>Here it is, 11:18 PM Monday night, and all
>I wanna do is a SysEnvirons to see if I've
>got a color machine or not and...
>LSP doesn't know what a SysEnvPtr is.
>--

>Clark Anderson                  InterNet:  anderson@apple.com
>CPU Engineering                 AppleLink: C.ANDERSON
>Apple Computer, Inc             BellNet:   408-974-4593

Use a SysEnvRec, not a SysEnvPtr.  IM Vol V is incorrect in its
declaration, at least as far as I can tell.  Check out Tech Note 129.

Hope this helps.

--

David Walton		Internet: dwal@tank.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago   {  Any opinions found herein are mine, not  }

cring@hpihoah.cup.hp.com (Craig Ring) (04/13/91)

I am trying to write some code which can tell what kind of Mac it is running
on.  I know about the sysEnvirons() call, but I am not sure about it's
details for the new Macs that just came out (Classic, LC...).  Anybody know
where this is documented?

Craig Ring
cring@hpihoah.cup.hp.com