[comp.sys.mac.programmer] disregarding floating windows

schorsch@oxy.edu (Brent William Schorsch) (04/08/91)

Ok, this one is for all you 'creative' programmers.

I am soliciting ideas for methods of determining whether any given
window in the window list is a floating window (such as the tools window
in HyperCard) or a document window.

Currently, I am using this criteria to determine if it's a doc:
It's title is valid (i.e. the length byte is greater than 0).
It's visible.
Its windowKind is >= 8 (this weeds out dialogs/DA's).

Note: I cant use the hilited parameter because I sometimes need to
do this work while MY window is frontmost (thus causing other doc
windows to not be hilited...)

Basically, I'm looking for this kind of creative thinking: check to see
if the height of the drag bar is less than x-pixels...	(something like
that which should be universally (virtually) true...)

murat@farcomp.UUCP (Murat Konar) (04/13/91)

In article <158305@tiger.oxy.edu> schorsch@oxy.edu (Brent William Schorsch) writes:
>Ok, this one is for all you 'creative' programmers.
>window in the window list is a floating window (such as the tools window
>in HyperCard) or a document window.
>
>Currently, I am using this criteria to determine if it's a doc:
>It's title is valid (i.e. the length byte is greater than 0).
>It's visible.
>Its windowKind is >= 8 (this weeds out dialogs/DA's).
>
>Note: I cant use the hilited parameter because I sometimes need to
>do this work while MY window is frontmost (thus causing other doc
>windows to not be hilited...)
>
>Basically, I'm looking for this kind of creative thinking: check to see
>if the height of the drag bar is less than x-pixels...	(something like
>that which should be universally (virtually) true...)

Watch out for Pagemaker's tool palette.  It uses the standard WDEF, has a
valid title.  I had to special case for it by checking it's size and title.

Have a day. :^|
Murat N. Konar
murat@farcomp.UUCP             -or-          farcomp!murat@apple.com