[comp.sys.mac.programmer] System 6.07/7.0 SoundManager

engber@ils.nwu.edu (Mike Engber) (04/08/91)

I see in IM VI all this stuff about VOX, but I can't seem to get any of
it to work. Is it something the Apple sound driver supports or do they
just document it as a standard for 3rd party drivers.

Also, I'm having trouble with SndRecordToFile. It seems as though if I
don't play a sound before calling it, the SoundManager gets corrupted,
as if playing a sound somehow initializes the SoundManager.

Please respond via email if possible.

-ME

ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) (04/15/91)

The VOX stuff isn't implemented in the 6.0.7 "built-in" sound input driver.
I don't know about 7.0.

Apple doesn't recommend that you use SndRecordToFile and SPBRecordToFile
in 6.0.7, either. Apparently the code makes unauthorized calls to
the Memory Manager at interrupt level, which may account for why you're
having those problems.

I would *hope* this particular problem is fixed in 7.0. The SPBRecord
function is useful in its own right, but it's really at far too
low a level to use as a convenient workaround.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro                       fone: +64-71-562-889
Computer Services Dept                     fax: +64-71-384-066
University of Waikato            electric mail: ldo@waikato.ac.nz
Hamilton, New Zealand    37^ 47' 26" S, 175^ 19' 7" E, GMT+12:00

REEKES@applelink.apple.com (Jim Reekes) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr15.122955.3428@waikato.ac.nz>, ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) writes:

> The VOX stuff isn't implemented in the 6.0.7 "built-in" sound input driver.
> Apple doesn't recommend that you use SndRecordToFile and SPBRecordToFile
> in 6.0.7, either.

It's all fixed in System 7.

Jim Reekes
Sound Manager Engineer