[comp.sys.mac.programmer] INIT/cdev Idea!

jtsweet@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Jonathan Thoma Sweet) (04/19/91)

I have an idea for an INIT of cdev, but I really don't have the time to
spend to figure out how to program it.

This is it!
In system 7 you can place folders in tha apple menu, this is done esp. with
the Control Panels folder.  I wish someone would create an INIT or cdev that
would branch the folders off into a menu that would contain the contents of
the folder.

Well I really can't offer much help in programing (I don't know how to
program INITs or cdevs) so you are on your own for this.  I would like
to know if someone was planning on programming this.

THANK YOU!

+-------------------------------+--------------------------------------+
| jtsweet@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu | "I'll get all the rest I need when   |
+-------------------------------+-----+    I die." - Road House        |
| "Oh God, I'm so depressed" - Marvin +--------------------------------+
| "Fully functional..." - DATA        |
+-------------------------------------+

2fmlcalls@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (04/20/91)

In article <1991Apr19.080327.12584@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu>, jtsweet@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Jonathan Thoma Sweet) writes:
> I have an idea for an INIT of cdev, but I really don't have the time to
> spend to figure out how to program it.

I had an INIT/cdev idea as well (for System 7).  How about an auto-Hide Others?
All those other open apps really can get distracting.  When I'm using THINK
Pascal and have a half-dozen units open, sometimes you'll see something way in
back and think it's the unit you're looking for.  Click on it and you're in the
Finder.  Whoops.

Could and INIT or such just patch the _Launch and post a mouseDown in the Hide
Others menu item?  I wouldn't know how to write an INIT, so feel free to knock
this one off to your own credit.

just a suggestion (aren't we all just sitting around without any programming to
do?)

john calhoun

deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu (Ben Haller) (04/21/91)

In article <1991Apr19.080327.12584@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> jtsweet@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Jonathan Thoma Sweet) writes:
>I have an idea for an INIT of cdev, but I really don't have the time to
>spend to figure out how to program it.
>
>This is it!
>In system 7 you can place folders in tha apple menu, this is done esp. with
>the Control Panels folder.  I wish someone would create an INIT or cdev that
>would branch the folders off into a menu that would contain the contents of
>the folder.

I will be posting an INIT eventually that does this, among many other
things, to the System 7.0 menus.  Nobody else bother doing this, my
INIT should be complete and useful.

-Ben Haller (deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu)
"Down at the ocean lies a body in the sand
 Big woman sits beside, head in hand
 With heat from her skin and fire from her breath
 She blows hard, she blows deep in the mouth of death"
   -Peter Gabriel, "Kiss Of Life"

deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu (Ben Haller) (04/21/91)

>I had an INIT/cdev idea as well (for System 7).  How about an auto-Hide Others?
>All those other open apps really can get distracting.  When I'm using THINK
>Pascal and have a half-dozen units open, sometimes you'll see something way in
>back and think it's the unit you're looking for.  Click on it and you're in the
>Finder.  Whoops.
>
>Could and INIT or such just patch the _Launch and post a mouseDown in the Hide
>Others menu item?  I wouldn't know how to write an INIT, so feel free to knock
>this one off to your own credit.

  I tried briefly doing this.  It's harder than it looks.  The System
appears to check for the MF menu selections inside MenuSelect itself as far
as I can tell, so simply patching MenuSelect at INIT time and returning the
proper value for the Hide Others item doesn't work, it just returns that
menu item selection to the running application, which (of course) doesn't
know what to do with it.
  Using the Process Manager seems doomed from the start, since (at least as
far as I can tell) the Process Manager doesn't support hiding and showing
layers, and doesn't work correctly anyway (as of beta 6).

-Ben Haller (deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu)
"Tin legs and tin mines, anyone cries
 Cry in the hope that there'll be tomorrow..."
   -Midnight Oil