[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Binary tree misprint?

jhenk@hmcvax.claremont.edu (04/22/91)

   In the File Manager section of Inside Mac Volume IV, there is a
very confusing diagram illustrating B* Tree (balanced binary trees,
right?) search paths. I suspect it is a misprint, but what do you
think? The search key is node 15, and instead of the path 8-13-15, the
search path takes 16-16-19.
   For the record, I'm looking at the second printing - September
1986. (the edition with the Mac motherboard, keyboard and hand on the
front. Was it corrected later? Am I all wet? Well, we KNEW that, but
you know... Thanks in advance.
                                   Jim Henk.

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr21.164639.1@hmcvax.claremont.edu> jhenk@hmcvax.claremont.edu writes:

>   In the File Manager section of Inside Mac Volume IV, there is a
>very confusing diagram illustrating B* Tree (balanced binary trees,
>right?) search paths. I suspect it is a misprint, but what do you
>think? The search key is node 15, and instead of the path 8-13-15, the
>search path takes 16-16-19.

Yes, that is a misprint. You're the only other person I've known to
notice that. I stumbled on it a few years ago when I was trying to
decipher the HFS disk format. When I showed the page to one of the HFS
engineers, he was competely taken aback!

Keith Rollin  ---  Apple Computer, Inc.
INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"But where the senses fail us, reason must step in."  - Galileo

dwright@sif.claremont.edu (04/23/91)

jhenk@hmcvax.claremont.edu writes:

>    In the File Manager section of Inside Mac Volume IV, there is a
> very confusing diagram illustrating B* Tree (balanced binary trees,
> right?) search paths. I suspect it is a misprint, but what do you
> think? The search key is node 15, and instead of the path 8-13-15, the
> search path takes 16-16-19.
>    For the record, I'm looking at the second printing - September
> 1986. (the edition with the Mac motherboard, keyboard and hand on the
> front. Was it corrected later? Am I all wet? Well, we KNEW that, but
> you know... Thanks in advance.
>                                    Jim Henk.

[The figure he's talking about is Chapter 19, figure 14, on page 169.  ]

It definitely looks like a misprint to me-- the text directly contradicts the
diagram ("Figure 14 shows a sample B*-tree search path; the arrows indicate a
path to the second record in the second leaf node.")

This was not corrected by the sixth printing.   Maybe when Apple releases the
second edition they'll fix it...

- Dan Wright

dwright@sif.claremont.edu