[comp.sys.mac.programmer] A new virus that physically damages your hard disk?

vrm@blackwater.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Vasile R. Montan) (04/11/91)

I heard a disturbing rumor today: someone told me that there is
a new Mac virus that somehow physically damages the hard drive,
requiring that it be sent back to the manufacturer for a costly
repair.

Is this true?  If so, how does the virus work, and how can I
protect myself from it?  Will Disinfect catch it?

--Kurisuto
un020070@vaxa.wvnet.edu

time@ice.com (Tim Endres) (04/11/91)

In article <1573@babcock.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu>, vrm@blackwater.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Vasile R. Montan) writes:
> I heard a disturbing rumor today: someone told me that there is
> a new Mac virus that somehow physically damages the hard drive,
> requiring that it be sent back to the manufacturer for a costly
> repair.
>
> Is this true?  If so, how does the virus work, and how can I
> protect myself from it?  Will Disinfect catch it?

People who start these rumors are as bad as the people who write viruses!

I know of no way for a piece of software to *physically* damage a
generic drive. There may be some unfortunate drive someplace that
can be physically damaged by some sequence of requests, but I seriously
doubt it!!! It may be possible to do a low level format of the medium
making it unusable, BUT this would vary from drive to drive and not
work on many of them, so the probability of this is about zero.

I would recommend a trip to 714 and a warm calming bath.

tim.

Tim Endres                |  time@ice.com
ICE Engineering           |  uupsi!ice.com!time
8840 Main Street          |  Voice            FAX
Whitmore Lake MI. 48189   |  (313) 449 8288   (313) 449 9208

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (04/12/91)

From article <1CE00001.cjpdlcx@tbomb.ice.com>, by time@ice.com (Tim Endres):
> I know of no way for a piece of software to *physically* damage a
> generic drive. There may be some unfortunate drive someplace that
> can be physically damaged by some sequence of requests, but I seriously
> doubt it!!! It may be possible to do a low level format of the medium
> making it unusable, BUT this would vary from drive to drive and not
> work on many of them, so the probability of this is about zero.

One certainly hopes this is not true.  On the other hand there is
a way, in software, to burn out certain IBM PC monitors.  So
perhaps it is possible.  Of course, that was with PC's. :-)

--
Paul DuBois                               "The 'C' shell usually doesn't
dubois@primate.wisc.edu                   have job control." -- LAN TIMES

kent@visix.com (Ken Turner) (04/12/91)

In article <1CE00001.cjpdlcx@tbomb.ice.com>, time@ice.com (Tim Endres) writes:

> In article <1573@babcock.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu>,
vrm@blackwater.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Vasile R. Montan) writes:
> > I heard a disturbing rumor today: someone told me that there is
> > a new Mac virus that somehow physically damages the hard drive,
> > requiring that it be sent back to the manufacturer for a costly
> > repair.
> > [...worrying deleted]
>
> People who start these rumors are as bad as the people who write
viruses!

> I know of no way for a piece of software to *physically* damage a
> generic drive. There may be some unfortunate drive someplace that
> can be physically damaged by some sequence of requests, but I
seriously
> doubt it!!! It may be possible to do a low level format of the medium
> making it unusable, BUT this would vary from drive to drive and not
> work on many of them, so the probability of this is about zero.

It is possible that someone, with enough SCSI knowledge, could screw up
any hard drive enough (though not physically damaged) to be complete
useless and unfixable for the average user.  However, it's more likely
that your hard drive will become completely useless and unfixable all on
its own! :~)  People who make regular back-ups sleep better at night.

Ken Turner
Visix Software Inc.

jamesth@microsoft.UUCP (James THIELE) (04/13/91)

In article <1CE00001.cjpdlcx@tbomb.ice.com> time@ice.com writes:

>I know of no way for a piece of software to *physically* damage a
>generic drive. There may be some unfortunate drive someplace that
>can be physically damaged by some sequence of requests, but I seriously
>doubt it!!!

Perhaps not for a Mac, but back in those bygone days when men were men,
women were women, and disk drives were as big as washing machines (say,
the '60s and '70s), lots of mainframe computers were able to make their
disk drives walk across the machine room ("Machine *room*?? You mean that
they built computers that didn't fit on a desktop?"  "Yep.").  Sometimes
they did a lot of damage, including damaging themselves.

Perhaps this still happens - lately I've been trying to avoid
mainframes.  :-)

James Thiele
microsoft!jamesth

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (04/16/91)

Here are several ideas as to how one might do something to
a disk drive that will either break it, or convince the
average user that it is broken.

1. It is possible that some drives have commands meant for use only
in the factory that can overwrite various internal data structures
such that the drive must be sent back to the factory to be revived.

At one time there was a proposal before the SCSI-2 committee to
standardize various diagnostic commands, and I believe such
dangerous commands were included.  These were not put in the
standard, but the fact that someone proposed them indicates
that there is someone out there who thinks this kind of command
is OK.  It would not surprise me if these people include such
commands as vendor unique commands in their drives.

2. It is possible that some virus author has found a firmware
bug in some drive that lets the drive be screwed up.  There
are bugs in drive firmware.  For example, the Sony 40 meg
drive that Apple sells violates the SCSI standard in certain
areas of message handling (I don't remember the exact sequence
that causes this - sorry).

3. Most likely, it just plays around with the mode select
command.  SCSI-1 specified almost nothing about what this
command actually did.  The CCS specifed many of the
mode select options, I believe, but there are a lot of things
that go beyond CCS that drive vendors implemented.

When one develops a SCSI disk installer for the Mac, one
can build in knowledge of the particular drives that one
is selling, and thus know how to set up all the mode
select options the way one wants.  However, programs that
are willing to work with "generic" drives might not be
able to set such a drive to a reasonable state if a virus
that knew about that drive went out and diddled it.

For example, some drives have an option to not spin up
until the host sends a START UNIT command.  I believe
that some drives allow this option to be selected by
software.  If a virus set this option, that drive would
look broken to a lot of software.  If this option is in a
mode select page your installer does not know about,
you are screwed.

4. Some drives let you set the SCSI ID in software.
If the virus set the ID to 7, it would look like
a dead drive.  I've never experimented with drives
that allow this, so I don't know how permanent it
would be (e.g., would the drive notice a change
in the jumper settings and interpret this as
meaning you now want to get the ID from the jumpers
instead of from the saved value?), but this could
be real nasty.

5. Some drives have command that let you read and
write extra data.  You get the sector you asked
for PLUS the ECC data.  Writing bad ECC data to
random sectors could convince a user that the
drive has hardware problems.

6. Some drives let you change the block size without
reformatting.  Changing the block size to 1K would
screw up a lot of software.  Most installers would
probably decide that the drive is broke.

7. Issue a bunch of commands to remap bad blocks until
the bad block table in the drive is full.  Now wait
till the user gets a new bad block and runs the
installation software to deal with it.  When the
installation sofware encounters a full bad block
table, it is likely to report that the drive is
in the process of dying.

To summarize, it is remotely possible that a virus
is screwing disks sufficiently to require them to
be sent back to the manufacturer.  It is more likely,
in my opinion, that it is simply doing something
that confuses the Mac so that the user thinks that
something is wrong, and confuses the installation
software from the drive vendor, so that the user
decides that the problem is a hardware error.

				Tim Smith

ksand@Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik, 120dB or more) (04/24/91)

In article <71828@microsoft.UUCP> jamesth@microsoft.UUCP (James THIELE) writes:

>Perhaps not for a Mac, but back in those bygone days when men were men,
>women were women, and disk drives were as big as washing machines (say,
>the '60s and '70s), lots of mainframe computers were able to make their
>disk drives walk across the machine room ("Machine *room*?? You mean that
>they built computers that didn't fit on a desktop?"  "Yep.").  Sometimes
>they did a lot of damage, including damaging themselves.
>
>Perhaps this still happens - lately I've been trying to avoid
>mainframes.  :-)

"Devouring Fungus" by Jennings contains a lot of this computereese folklore.

Kent

--
Kent Sandvik, DTS junkie