[comp.sys.mac.programmer] HELP! Norton Util & System 7.0

TAS120@psuvm.psu.edu (Todd Safra) (04/23/91)

After using system 7.0 my hard drive was modified to work with the nwe system
software.  After trying to run  norton utilites I got the message, Norton util
unable to examine this disk, it has been used with system 7.0 . Next I
proceeded to examine and then delete the invisible files that System 7.0 had
created on the desktop hoping this would get rid of the problem/markers that
let Norton know that I had been using system 7.0  Help! It didn't work, what
can I do, and what modifications (that I see no signs of) has system 7.0
actually done to my HD?  Is there anything I can do to get Norton to run again?

                                            Todd

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (04/23/91)

In article <91113.023017TAS120@psuvm.psu.edu> TAS120@psuvm.psu.edu (Todd Safra) writes:
>After using system 7.0 my hard drive was modified to work with the nwe system
>software.  After trying to run  norton utilites I got the message, Norton util
>unable to examine this disk, it has been used with system 7.0 . Next I
  [deleting Desktop DB and Desktop DF files didn't help]

  The Norton utilities don't appear to like the changes made to the BOOT
  BLOCKS when you install System 7.0.  There is a program called
  BootBlock Writer which can be used to re-install a set of 6.0.x boot
  blocks.  I have used this successfully to 'undo' an install of 7.0b4.
  Norton works fine with that drive now.

--
.--------------------------------------------------------------------.
| Paul Jacoby, 3M Company        |  Parachuting?  Why jump out of a  |

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Race Bannon) (04/24/91)

TAS120@psuvm.psu.edu (Todd Safra) writes:

>After using system 7.0 my hard drive was modified to work with the nwe system
>software.  After trying to run  norton utilites I got the message, Norton util
>unable to examine this disk, it has been used with system 7.0 . Next I
>proceeded to examine and then delete the invisible files that System 7.0 had
>created on the desktop hoping this would get rid of the problem/markers that
>let Norton know that I had been using system 7.0  Help! It didn't work, what
>can I do, and what modifications (that I see no signs of) has system 7.0
>actually done to my HD?  Is there anything I can do to get Norton to run again?

>                                            Todd

Norton 1.0 DOES NOT and WILL NOT work.  The reason Apple doesn't release
System software to the general public until its finished is to keep it out
of the hands of whiners like you.

When Sys7 is officially released, there will be a version of Norton that works
with it.  Until then, you'll have to live without it.  Do you realize that if
you HAD tricked Norton into running on your modified disk, you would have
probably lost everything?  The directory structure is completely different.

Dan Walkowski                          | To understand recursion,
Univ. of Illinois, Dept. of Comp. Sci. |   you must first understand recursion.
walkowsk@cs.uiuc.edu                   |

MacUserLabs@cup.portal.com (Stephan - Somogyi) (04/24/91)

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) writes:

>The Norton utilities don't appear to like the changes made to the
>BOOT BLOCKS when you install System 7.0.  There is a program called
>BootBlock Writer which can be used to re-install a set of 6.0.x boot
>blocks. I have used this successfully to 'undo' an install of 7.0b4.
>Norton works fine with that drive now.

NDD 1.0 does not know about alias records. If you have created aliases
on a volume, nothing short of reinitialization will make NDD 1.0 happy
with it.

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Race Bannon) writes:

>When Sys7 is officially released, there will be a version of Norton
>that works with it.  Until then, you'll have to live without it.  Do
>you realize that if you HAD tricked Norton into running on your
>modified disk, you would have probably lost everything?  The
>directory structure is completely different.

That is a gross exaggeration. To my knowledge, the only thing that was
added to HFS data structures on disk are alias records, which are
ignored by previous version of HFS.

If the the directory structure were "completely different"
6.x-and-earlier systems would hardly be able read 7.0 volumes.

Stephan Somogyi                                     Sleep is a luxury.
MacUser

siegel@world.std.com (Rich Siegel) (04/24/91)

In article <41593@cup.portal.com> MacUserLabs@cup.portal.com (Stephan - Somogyi) writes:

>NDD 1.0 does not know about alias records. If you have created aliases
>on a volume, nothing short of reinitialization will make NDD 1.0 happy
>with it.

	If you hold down the Option key while clicking "OK" to the
"This disk has been used with System 7.0...." alert, NDD will continue with
the diagnosis, with no ill effects. This is not suggested as a fix to the
problem, but merely as a temporary workaround until a fully System 7.0-
compatible version of the Norton Utilities package is released.

R.

Rich Siegel                              Internet: siegel@world.std.com
Software Engineer                        Applelink: SIEGEL
Symantec Languages Group

ralph@cm.cf.ac.uk (Ralph Martin) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr23.184657.11559@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
(Race Bannon) writes:
>TAS120@psuvm.psu.edu (Todd Safra) writes:
>
>>After using system 7.0 my hard drive was modified to work with the nwe system
>>software.  After trying to run  norton utilites I got the message, Norton
util
>>unable to examine this disk, it has been used with system 7.0 ...
[Stuff Deleted]

>>                                            Todd
>
>Norton 1.0 DOES NOT and WILL NOT work.  The reason Apple doesn't release
>System software to the general public until its finished is to keep it out
>of the hands of whiners like you.
>
>When Sys7 is officially released, there will be a version of Norton that works
>with it.  Until then, you'll have to live without it.  Do you realize that if
>you HAD tricked Norton into running on your modified disk, you would have
>probably lost everything?  The directory structure is completely different.

This last remark is UTTER rubbish. The directory structure is different, but
not COMPLETELY different. If when you get the dialog about Norton not working
with System 7, instead of clicking OK, you option-click ok, Norton will
continue, apparently doing a "best effort" at repair. (This is from my own
experience - NOT as told to me by Norton). I have in fact used this
successfully to fix a disk which one of the beta releases of 7.0 had munged,
at least to the point of being able to recover the files I had been working on
since my last backup. Of course, you did read and act on the stuff in the beta
docs about backing up your data, didn't you?....:-)

Ralph