[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Comm Toolbox help?

jcocon@hubcap.clemson.edu (james c oconnor) (04/25/91)

I am writing a stack which needs to converse over a variety of protocals
(ethernet, appletalk, serial lines, modems) to an IBM mainframe.  I will
be processing the input and displaying it in fields - then using user
input, after sufficient cooking, to send back to the IBM.

I bought Comm Toolbox, but like Inside Macintosh, it is hard to get the
big picture of what is going on.  After you have a general idea where to
look IM is great.

Now for the questions:
1)  Where do I get tools for standard modems, appletalk, etc?

2)  Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to start?

Jim

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (04/27/91)

In article <1991Apr25.153407.5849@hubcap.clemson.edu> jcocon@hubcap.clemson.edu
(james c oconnor) writes:

>I bought Comm Toolbox, but like Inside Macintosh, it is hard to get the
>big picture of what is going on.  After you have a general idea where to
>look IM is great.
>
>Now for the questions:
>1)  Where do I get tools for standard modems, appletalk, etc?
>
>2)  Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to start?

I haven't looked at the Comm Toolbox disks recently, but I seem to recall that
they ship with the following connection tools: Serial, Modem, & ADSP
(AppleTalk)
and that there is a sample program called Surfer which uses all 3 types of
tools (Connection, Terminal, & File transfer).  Looking through the src to
Surfer is definitely a good starting point.

--
Scott Lindsey <wombat@claris.com>