[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Help with Mac Prog. Primer program

paisley@ccvr1.cc.ncsu.edu (Mike Paisley) (04/30/91)

As a new Mac programmer I was working through some of the demo programs in the
book "Macintosh Programming Primer" by Dave Mark and Cartwright Reed. I did all
the necessaries in setting up the "Timer" program from Chapter 5, but it dies.
Running the debugger reveals a bus error when it tries to execute the line

	AddResMenu(gFontMenu,'FONT');

in the MenuBarInit routine.  I rechecked all the created resources and
everything appears to be fine, from what is shown in the book. gFontMenu is a
global variable declared as a MenuHandle.  If I comment out this line, the
program works just fine, though it doesn't show any fonts (of course) or styles
(not sure why on this one).  I feel like it is just a problem of syntax of the
call, but I don't have my copy of Inside Mac yet, so I'm at a loss. Anyone
tried this beastie and seen this problem?

Please reply directly to me, as I don't read this newsgroup. (Not quite up to
it yet!)  I will post the answer if there is some interest.  Thanks.

Mike Paisley   paisley@ccvr1.cc.ncsu.edu   PAISLEY@NCSUMTE.BITNET

CAH0@bunny.gte.com (Chuck Hoffman) (04/30/91)

The original query asked for response by e-mail.  I'm posting it here also
for general interest.

In article <1991Apr29.234725.2317@ncsu.edu> paisley@ccvr1.cc.ncsu.edu
(Mike Paisley) writes:
> As a new Mac programmer I was working through some of the demo programs
in the
> book "Macintosh Programming Primer" by Dave Mark and Cartwright Reed. I
did all
> the necessaries in setting up the "Timer" program from Chapter 5, but it
dies.
> Running the debugger reveals a bus error when it tries to execute the
line

>         AddResMenu(gFontMenu,'FONT');
>
> in the MenuBarInit routine.

I'm not familiar with the text you mention, but your code line looks
exactly like some of mine.  The handle gFontMenu has to be properly
initialized, such as with GetMenu.  Check it with your debugger to see if
this is true.

Chuck Hoffman, GTE Laboratories, Inc.    |  I'm not sure why we're here,
cah0@bunny.gte.com                       |  but I am sure that while we're
Telephone (U.S.A.) 617-466-2131          |  here, we're supposed to help
GTE VoiceNet: 679-2131                   |  each other.
GTE Telemail: C.HOFFMAN                  |

d88-jwa@byse.nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) (05/01/91)

In article <11098@bunny.GTE.COM> CAH0@bunny.gte.com (Chuck Hoffman) writes:

   > Running the debugger reveals a bus error when it tries to execute the
   >         AddResMenu(gFontMenu,'FONT');

   exactly like some of mine.  The handle gFontMenu has to be properly
   initialized, such as with GetMenu.  Check it with your debugger to see if

Remember; if you call GetNewMBar to load a MBAR resource, you
shouldn't call GetMenu but GetMenuHandle. There is a distinction !

--
						Jon W{tte
						h+@nada.kth.se