[comp.sys.mac.programmer] ETO #3

zaccone@jasper.bucknell.edu (zaccone - 1393) (04/30/91)

I just purchased the ETO starter package.  I received a big load of
manuals and a CD with over 500 Mb of software on it.

I fired up the installer and asked it to install MPW, C, C++, and
MacApp.  It bails out before getting to C++ complaining about an
argument to an "if".  The installation instructions in the manuals
assume that I am working from floppies, so they are no help.

Does anyone know how to fix this?  Is there someone at APDA that I
should be writing to?  Somehow I don't feel I'm getting my $950 worth
from this software!

Rick Zaccone
Bucknell University
--
zaccone@bucknell.edu

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (05/01/91)

In article <ZACCONE.91Apr29211323@jasper.bucknell.edu> zaccone@jasper.bucknell.edu (zaccone - 1393) writes:
>I just purchased the ETO starter package.  I received a big load of
>manuals and a CD with over 500 Mb of software on it.
>
>I fired up the installer and asked it to install MPW, C, C++, and
>MacApp.  It bails out before getting to C++ complaining about an
>argument to an "if".  The installation instructions in the manuals
>assume that I am working from floppies, so they are no help.
>
>Does anyone know how to fix this?  Is there someone at APDA that I
>should be writing to?  Somehow I don't feel I'm getting my $950 worth
>from this software!

I don't have ETO #3 yet (I moved offices and my mail is still catching
up to me), but I talked to the Product Manager about this. He said that
he's sorry for the goof. What happened was that a folder name was
changed at the last minute, and the Installer wasn't updated to
reflect that.

As I said, I don't have ETO #3, so I can't tell you what the exact
change needs to be made to the Installer. However, most people tend
to just copy files over by hand. Install everything but C++ with
the Installer, then find the C++ folder from the Finder and manually
copy over the files to the right places within your MPW folder.

Hopefully, problems like this will no longer occur in the future. The
ETO Installer started out as a quick & dirty script, and has sort of
grown in importance and size. As such, it suffers from a product that
has evolved by slapping more and more patches on it. However, the
ETO installer is now a more serious project within Apple, and will get
the attention it needs.

Keith Rollin  ---  Apple Computer, Inc.
INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"But where the senses fail us, reason must step in."  - Galileo

gtall@ogre.cica.indiana.edu (Gerry Allwein) (05/01/91)

Err...did you follow the instructions about copying the installer onto your
hard disk before running it?

Gerry

In article <52193@apple.Apple.COM> keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) writes:
>In article <ZACCONE.91Apr29211323@jasper.bucknell.edu> zaccone@jasper.bucknell.edu (zaccone - 1393) writes:
>>I just purchased the ETO starter package.  I received a big load of
>>manuals and a CD with over 500 Mb of software on it.
>>
>>I fired up the installer and asked it to install MPW, C, C++, and
>>MacApp.  It bails out before getting to C++ complaining about an
>>argument to an "if".  The installation instructions in the manuals
>>assume that I am working from floppies, so they are no help.
>>
>>Does anyone know how to fix this?

In the ETO Installer script called "install"...

change:
set CPlusSource "{CDVolume}Tools - Objects:Cd+d+:"

to:
set CPlusSource "{CDVolume}Tools - Objects:MPW Cd+d+:"

where those d's are really option-d's.