[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Does MacApp support core events, edition mgr, stationary, PPC toolbox?

ari@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ari Halberstadt) (04/30/91)

Does, or will, MacApp support the things mentioned in the subject
line?  It seems keeping up with Apple requires abandoning ToolBox and
THINK C (and their class library) and using MacApp, which appears to
be the new standard interface for Macintosh programming. Most
important, how difficult will it be to include support for 7.0
features using the various programmatic interfaces available (this is
mostly a discussion question)? While support for the 4 required Apple
Events is straightforward, support for Core Apple Events can require
extensive work in a procedural based program (ie, ToolBox
programming). Will MacApp provide reasonably transparent support for
these new features, so that existing classes can simply be plugged in
and be expected to gain most of the functionality of 7.0? In other
words, if I have a document class which supports the basic operations
on documents (undo, cut, copy, save, open, etc) will MacApp make
support for publish/subscribe and all the other goodies
straightforward?

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr30.161138.10273@dartvax.dartmouth.edu> ari@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ari Halberstadt) writes:
>Does, or will, MacApp support the things mentioned in the subject
>line?

MacApp 3.0 will support the required Apple events and the Edition
Manager. It will not have any classes to support the PPC Toolbox, and I
don't think it will provide routines to support stationary (though that
may change before final).  However, nothing will prevent you from
adding those yourself if you desire them.

>...if I have a document class which supports the basic operations
>on documents (undo, cut, copy, save, open, etc) will MacApp make
>support for publish/subscribe and all the other goodies
>straightforward?

Edition Manager support is pretty straightforward with MacApp. I
think that you are required to implement something like 5 routines;
MacApp takes care of the rest. If your document is designed
cleanly, it should be pretty simple to implement those 5 methods.

Keith Rollin  ---  Apple Computer, Inc.
INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"But where the senses fail us, reason must step in."  - Galileo

ksand@Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik, 120dB or more) (05/01/91)

In article <52223@apple.Apple.COM> keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) writes:
>In article <1991Apr30.161138.10273@dartvax.dartmouth.edu> ari@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ari Halberstadt) writes:
>>Does, or will, MacApp support the things mentioned in the subject
>>line?

>MacApp 3.0 will support the required Apple events and the Edition
>Manager. It will not have any classes to support the PPC Toolbox, and I
>don't think it will provide routines to support stationary (though that
>may change before final).  However, nothing will prevent you from
>adding those yourself if you desire them.

There's some limited AppleEvent support (mainly for the Edition Manager),
but this could be subject to change for future alpha/beta releases.
Anyway, incoming AppleEvents are mapped to TCommands, which I think is
really beautiful, so your code that implements TCommands today requires
very little tweaking in order to support AppleEvents.

So this was a TCommand sales pitch!

Kent Sandvik

--
Kent Sandvik, DTS Rock Lobster
Disclaimer: I am not working with Public Relations.