[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Alias Problem

u-beasth%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (bryant eastham) (05/02/91)

  I have noticed an interesting side effect of aliases.  Say that I have
a PASSWORDED partition on my hard disk (from Silverlining). I mount it and
have to type the password.  I then create an alias to something on that
partition and copy it somewhere else (another partition).  Then I throw
away the partition that contains the now aliased file.  The trash can stays
the same, indicating (to me) that it is empty.  I open the alias and, what
do you know! my partition returns WITHOUT TYPING THE PASSWORD!

  This seems to be an incredible security hole.  The only way to get the
partition NOT to come back is to reset the machine (that I know of).

  Bryant Eastham
  bryant@ced.utah.edu

chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach, only here for the beer) (05/02/91)

u-beasth%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (bryant eastham) writes:

>  I have noticed an interesting side effect of aliases.  Say that I have
>a PASSWORDED partition on my hard disk (from Silverlining). I mount it and
>have to type the password.  I then create an alias to something on that
>partition and copy it somewhere else (another partition).

>I open the alias and, what
>do you know! my partition returns WITHOUT TYPING THE PASSWORD!

>  This seems to be an incredible security hole.  The only way to get the
>partition NOT to come back is to reset the machine (that I know of).

This sounds like a bug in SilverLining. If you do the same to an Appleshare
server, it prompts for passwords.

--
Chuq Von Rospach >=< chuq@apple.com >=< GEnie:CHUQ or MAC.BIGOT >=< ALink:CHUQ
     SFWA Nebula Awards Reports Editor    =+=    Editor, OtherRealms

Recommended: ORION IN THE DYING TIME Ben Bova (Tor, Aug, ***-); SACRED
VISIONS Greeley&Cassutt (Tor, Aug, ****+); MEN AT WORK George Will (****);
XENOCIDE Orson Scott Card (August, ****)

brad@aero.org (Bradley A. West) (05/02/91)

In article <52256@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach, only here for the beer) writes:
>u-beasth%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (bryant eastham) writes:
>
>>  I have noticed an interesting side effect of aliases.  Say that I have
>>a PASSWORDED partition on my hard disk (from Silverlining). I mount it and
>>have to type the password.  I then create an alias to something on that
>>partition and copy it somewhere else (another partition).
>
>>I open the alias and, what
>>do you know! my partition returns WITHOUT TYPING THE PASSWORD!
>
>>  This seems to be an incredible security hole.  The only way to get the
>>partition NOT to come back is to reset the machine (that I know of).
>
>This sounds like a bug in SilverLining. If you do the same to an Appleshare
>server, it prompts for passwords.

How did you create the alias?  If you've got a beta of sys 7, this may
be one of the incompatabilities corrected with the new version of
Silverlining everyone's been clammering about.

Brad

gandalf@apple.com (Martin Gannholm) (05/02/91)

In article <1991May1.203148.27729@aero.org> brad@aero.org (Bradley A.
West) writes:
> In article <52256@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach,
only here for the beer) writes:
> >u-beasth%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (bryant eastham) writes:
> >
> >>  I have noticed an interesting side effect of aliases.  Say that I
have
> >>a PASSWORDED partition on my hard disk (from Silverlining). I mount it
and
> >>have to type the password.  I then create an alias to something on that
> >>partition and copy it somewhere else (another partition).
> >
> >>I open the alias and, what
> >>do you know! my partition returns WITHOUT TYPING THE PASSWORD!
> >
> >>  This seems to be an incredible security hole.  The only way to get
the
> >>partition NOT to come back is to reset the machine (that I know of).
> >
> >This sounds like a bug in SilverLining. If you do the same to an
Appleshare
> >server, it prompts for passwords.
>
> How did you create the alias?  If you've got a beta of sys 7, this may
> be one of the incompatabilities corrected with the new version of
> Silverlining everyone's been clammering about.

This is definitely not the System's fault. In pre-7.0 systems you could
for example launch Disk First Aid and click the "Drive" button until all
the devices had shown, and then Quit. The passworded partitions would be
mounted in the same way that you can now do more easily with aliases.

I think any program that scans the drive list and tries to mount a volume
in the list would work.

NOTE: this only works if the volume has been mounted WITH THE PASSWORD
since the last reboot.

Martin

Exclaimer!!!   I never said it...Nobody heard me say it...You can't prove
anything!