[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MacRecorder hacking...

trebor@lkbreth.foretune.co.jp (Robert J Woodhead) (05/01/91)

I'm working on a part-time project that, amoungst other things, needs a Mac
to be able to determine when sounds start and stop.  What I'd like to do is
use my MacRecorder.

What I am looking for is software that I can hook into my MPW program that
let me:

	Initialize the Macrecorder
	Get a sample of the current input (eg: the next "byte")
	Clean up afterwards

My current theory is that by just reading in samples and averaging the last
N or so, I can get a pretty good "level" meter that will be able to determine
the start/stop of sound bursts to within .01 second or so.

Anyone know where I can get such software?  Thanks.

| Robert J. Woodhead, Biar Games / AnimEigo, Incs.   trebor@foretune.co.jp |
| "The Force. It surrounds us; It enfolds us; It gets us dates on Saturday |
| Nights." -- Obi Wan Kenobi, Famous Jedi Knight and Party Animal.         |

kinsey@athena.cs.uga.edu (Kevin Kinsey) (05/01/91)

In article <9297@lkbreth.foretune.co.jp> trebor@lkbreth.foretune.co.jp (Robert J Woodhead) writes:
>I'm working on a part-time project that, amoungst other things, needs a Mac
>to be able to determine when sounds start and stop.  What I'd like to do is
>use my MacRecorder.
>
>What I am looking for is software that I can hook into my MPW program that
>let me:
>
>	Initialize the Macrecorder
>	Get a sample of the current input (eg: the next "byte")
>	Clean up afterwards
>
>My current theory is that by just reading in samples and averaging the last
>N or so, I can get a pretty good "level" meter that will be able to determine
>the start/stop of sound bursts to within .01 second or so.
>
>Anyone know where I can get such software?  Thanks.
>
>--
>+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
>| Robert J. Woodhead, Biar Games / AnimEigo, Incs.   trebor@foretune.co.jp |
>| "The Force. It surrounds us; It enfolds us; It gets us dates on Saturday |
>| Nights." -- Obi Wan Kenobi, Famous Jedi Knight and Party Animal.         |

I know that the new sound manager in 6.0.7 and (even better) in 7.0 will
do much of what you want to do, but the big question is:

Does the driver that comes with the MacRecorder take into account all the
nifty new routines that are now available?

Does anyone out there know? Inquiring minds want to know...

Kevin Kinsey
UCNS
University of Georgia
Athens, GA
kinsey@athena.cs.uga.edu

REEKES@applelink.apple.com (Jim Reekes) (05/03/91)

In article <1991May1.033605.12078@athena.cs.uga.edu>, kinsey@athena.cs.uga.edu (Kevin Kinsey) writes:

> In article <9297@lkbreth.foretune.co.jp> trebor@lkbreth.foretune.co.jp (Robert J Woodhead) writes:
> >I'm working on a part-time project that, amoungst other things, needs a Mac
> >to be able to determine when sounds start and stop.  What I'd like to do is
> >use my MacRecorder.
> >
> >What I am looking for is software that I can hook into my MPW program that
> >let me:
> >
> >	Initialize the Macrecorder
> >	Get a sample of the current input (eg: the next "byte")
> >	Clean up afterwards
> >
> >My current theory is that by just reading in samples and averaging the last
> >N or so, I can get a pretty good "level" meter that will be able to determine
> >the start/stop of sound bursts to within .01 second or so.
> >
> >Anyone know where I can get such software?  Thanks.

The MacRecorder driver for the new Sound Manager supports level metering.
The Apple built-in driver supports VOX (voice activated levels to trigger
start and stop of recording) but the MacRecorder currently doesn't.

Jim Reekes E.O., Macintosh Toolbox Engineering