[comp.sys.mac.programmer] menu questions

chuck@searchtech.com (Chuck Howard) (05/07/91)

I have two simple questions about menus on the MAC.

1)  I remember reading in Inside MacIntosh I that
    menus were limited to 20 items.  I've noticed
    in more recent applications that this limit
    has been exceeded.  So my question is, has the
    limit been extended beyond 20?

2)  I've also noticed some applications use scrolling
    menus.  Is this part of the toolbox?  I couldn't
    find a reference to scrolling menus in Inside
    MacIntosh.

Thanx
Chuck

dweisman@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Ordinary Man) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May6.191232.17156@searchtech.com>, chuck@searchtech.com (Chuck Howard) writes:
> I have two simple questions about menus on the MAC.
>
> 1)  I remember reading in Inside MacIntosh I that
>     menus were limited to 20 items.  I've noticed
>     in more recent applications that this limit
>     has been exceeded.  So my question is, has the
>     limit been extended beyond 20?

Yes. I was not aware that there was a 20 item limit in the first place. A
classic example is the font menu on the old MacWrite. If you had more than 20
fonts installed, didn't they all show up? ....

> 2)  I've also noticed some applications use scrolling
>     menus.  Is this part of the toolbox?  I couldn't
>     find a reference to scrolling menus in Inside
>     MacIntosh.

Continuing with the above, when you had more menu items than would fit on the
screen at one time, the menu would scroll automatically. This, I believe, is
handled internally by the Menu Manager and it is not necessary for anyone to
have to change this. The only improvement I can think of was the addition of
the little arrows at the top and bottom of menus that were scrolled or could be
scrolled (for the 128K ROM).

Dan

/-------------------------------------------------------------------------\
|   Dan Weisman -  University of Miami - Florida   |  ||   ||   ||   ||   |
|--------------------------------------------------|  ||   ||   ||\ /||   |
|   INTERNET  -----> dweisman@umiami.IR.Miami.edu  |  ||   ||   || | ||   |
|     BITNET  -----> dweisman@umiami               |  |||||||   || | ||   |
|       "The more I get to see, the less I understand..."    - Triumph    |
\_________________________________________________________________________/

kmork@ulrik.uio.no (Knut Mork) (05/07/91)

chuck@serachtech says:

"2)  I've also noticed some applications use scrolling
    menus.  Is this part of the toolbox?  I couldn't
    find a reference to scrolling menus in Inside
    MacIntosh.
"
Scrolling menus are default, and are told about in Inside Mac 5.
They are mentioned in the user interface guideline update.

Any menu which is too long with automatically get those little arrows and
scroll.

--Knut
--
| /  |\  /|   Knut Mork
|/   | \/ |   "The Master"
|\   |    |   aka Duthyn, Kaiser Knut, TRAP-R-JON-1, Forian