[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Virtual memory

resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) (05/08/91)

I believe this has been discussed before, so e-mail replies will be fine.

What can and cannot be paged out if VM is active? For instance, can paging
occur at interrupt? If my program contains a routine that can be called at
interrupt, can it ever be paged out? Is the device manager used for paging
or is it a separate entity? Basically, how much is really done with VM?

Thanks.
pr
--
Pete Resnick             (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC

bell@apple.com (Mike Bell) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May8.014358.10292@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu
(Pete Resnick) writes:
> From: resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick)
> Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.programmer
> Subject: Virtual memory
> Date: 8 May 91 01:43:58 GMT
> Sender: usenet@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (News)
>
> I believe this has been discussed before, so e-mail replies will be fine.
>
> What can and cannot be paged out if VM is active? For instance, can paging
> occur at interrupt? If my program contains a routine that can be called at
> interrupt, can it ever be paged out? Is the device manager used for paging
> or is it a separate entity? Basically, how much is really done with VM?
>
> Thanks.
> pr
> --
> Pete Resnick             (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
> Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC
> System manager - Cognitive Science Group, Beckman Institute, UIUC
> Internet/ARPAnet/EDUnet  : resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu
> BITNET (if no other way) : FREE0285@UIUCVMD

     There is a new call, DeferUsrFn, that should be used in completion
routines to protect against page fault problems. Tech Note #285 does a good job
explaining the in's and out's of VM (including the DeferUsrFn call); it should
be available at all of the normal places.

                       Mike