[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Virtual hardware and CP/M

John_Miller@mindlink.bc.ca (John Miller) (05/09/91)

Mark Anbinder (mha@baka.uucp) of BAKA Computers, Inc. posted
the following information in Comp.sys.mac.announce
(messsage <52-890-00003.2756626885.228@baka.UUCP>)

>Subject:   Apple Announcement Pending
>Date:      5/9/91            Time:  9:34 AM
>
> Cupertino, 9 May 91 (AP) -- Responding to rumours that a system
> software related announcement was scheduled for Monday, 13 May,
> inside sources have said that Apple is about to announce a CP/M
> compatibility mode for the Macintosh.  The software for the new
> operating mode requires an 80 Mb hard disk, a minimum of 4 Mb of
> RAM, and the new "8-bit clean" ROMs.  CP/M, made popular in the
> early 1980s, has been conspicuously absent from the microcomputer
> industry in recent years.

Now, this got me thinking (always a mistake.)  I still have a
Z80 & CP/M emulation program for the IBM PC kicking around
somewhere.  There is, of course, Soft PC for the Mac.  There's
been various mutterings of Mac emulation software for things
like SparcStations.

So here's the idea ...

We find a SparcStation with the required Mac emulation software
and get it running.  We then launch Soft PC to give us an IBM
environment.  Next comes the Z80 emulator.  Now, the advantage of
RISC architectures is supposed to be their simple instruction set
so there should be no problem writing a Sparc emulator in Z80
assembly language.  It could write things out to disk to get
around address size limitations.

We then make a recursive call and, at the same instant, yank
away the underlying Sparc hardware.  We're left with the
world's first ever piece of free running software, capable of
running four historically important operating systems. Because
the constraints -- clock speed, disk access and transfer times --
of physical hardware have been eliminated, performance should
shoot through the roof.

Now I admit that the timing of the hardware removal would
have to be very precise, and Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle
might cause problems, but if Apple truly wants to restore
its healthy gross profit margins, it's an approach Apple should
explore.

Of course, this would eliminate forever the notion of free
system software updates.  The Installer program would become
a piece of hardware that you would rent to update to Apple's
latest offerings.  I still haven't figured out a solution to
the synchronization problems involved in updates.

I sure hope this public disclosure doesn't mess up my
patent application.

John Miller                         (604) 433-1795
Symplex Systems                     AppleLink (rarely)  SYMPLEX
Burnaby, British Columbia           Fax: (604) 430-8516
Canada                              usenet:  john_miller@mindlink.uucp

Macintosh Consulting and Software Development
(Would you rent this brain?)