[comp.sys.mac.programmer] C++ For the Macintosh??

umduddr0@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Brendan Duddridge) (05/10/91)

Is there a C++ compile for the Mac?  I think there is an MPW version, but does
anyone know if there is something like "Turbo C++" on the IBM for the Mac?

Does Think C 4.0 support C++ extensions?

Also, are all these versions of C++ compatible with each other?

Thanxx...

Brendan Duddridge
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Canada

ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Lanett) (05/10/91)

umduddr0@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Brendan Duddridge) writes:

>Is there a C++ compile for the Mac?  I think there is an MPW version, but does
>anyone know if there is something like "Turbo C++" on the IBM for the Mac?
>
>Does Think C 4.0 support C++ extensions?

>Also, are all these versions of C++ compatible with each other?

>Thanxx...

Yes, there's MPW C++. It has a few extensions -- basic objects that support
pascal objects, are optimized for single-inheritance, etc. Zortech C++ (also
for MPW) has the same extensions, since they're needed for MacApp.

Think C (a.k.a. Think C+-) is a port of Object Pascal to C. As such, it's
puzzling as to why it doesn't support MacApp. However, it doesn't. Also, its
syntax is not quite the same (the New operator is a function, 'virtual' not
required, etc.)

--
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Lanett						ml27192@uxa.cs.uiuc.edu

Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Lawson English) (05/11/91)

Brendan Duddridge writes in a message to All

BD> Is there a C++ compile for the Mac? I think there is an MPW version,
BD> but does anyone know if there is something like "Turbo C++" on
BD> the IBM for the Mac?  Does Think C 4.0 support C++ extensions

Think C behaves more like Object Pascal than C++. According to a friend, Turbo
C++'s user interface was based on Think C's.

The mythical Think C 5.0 may support C++ but 4.0 only supports single-inheritance,
no "friends," private/privilaged keywords, etc.

Lawson

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!300!15.88!Lawson.English
Internet: Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org