[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Apple Developer Conf - comp.sys.mac.programmer get together

engber@ils.nwu.edu (Mike Engber) (04/26/91)

I've manage to get myself sent. Are any other comp.sys.mac.programmer
people going. I'd like to meet and personally thank some of you for all
the help I've been getting on the net.

I`ll compile a list over the next week or so list and post.

-ME

paul@taniwha.UUCP (Paul Campbell) (04/28/91)

In article <1503@anaxagoras.ils.nwu.edu> engber@ils.nwu.edu (Mike Engber) writes:
>I've manage to get myself sent. Are any other comp.sys.mac.programmer
>people going. I'd like to meet and personally thank some of you for all
>the help I've been getting on the net.

Sure - let's all turn up with placards demanding 32-bit clean ROMs
for our Macs :-)

	Paul

--
Paul Campbell    UUCP: ..!mtxinu!taniwha!paul     AppleLink: CAMPBELL.P
There once was a landlord from Berkeley,Whose apartments were rundown and dirty

bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com (Roger L. Long) (04/29/91)

In article <1503@anaxagoras.ils.nwu.edu> Mike Engber writes:
>I've manage to get myself sent. Are any other comp.sys.mac.programmer
>people going. I'd like to meet and personally thank some of you for all
>the help I've been getting on the net.

I'll be there.
--
	Roger L. Long
	bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com

tjc@castle.ed.ac.uk (A J Cunningham) (04/30/91)

I'll be there. How do we recognise each other?
Tony

p.s. any other Netheads going there?

--
Tony Cunningham, Edinburgh University Computing Service. tjc@castle.ed.ac.uk

Inspiration, move me brightly, light the song with sense and colour, hold
away despair. More than this I will not ask faced with mysteries dark and vast.

gourdol@imag.imag.fr (Gourdol Arnaud) (05/01/91)

>I'll be there. How do we recognise each other?
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes. Me too.    Good question.

Any idea someone? A sombrero maybe?

Arno.

--
   /======================//==========================================/
  / Arnaud Gourdol.      // On the Netland:         Gourdol@imag.fr  /

ksand@Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik, 120dB or more) (05/01/91)

In article <9937@castle.ed.ac.uk> tjc@castle.ed.ac.uk (A J Cunningham) writes:

>I'll be there. How do we recognise each other?
>Tony

>p.s. any other Netheads going there?

Would anyone be interested to do a "Usenet NetHead Birds of a Feather" thing?
Let me know, I could try to arrange a room for something after 6pm or so.

Kent Sandvik, DTS

--
Kent Sandvik, DTS Rock Lobster
Disclaimer: I am not working with Public Relations.

amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) (05/01/91)

In article <13256@goofy.Apple.COM> ksand@Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik,
120dB or more) writes:

   Would anyone be interested to do a "Usenet NetHead Birds of a
   Feather" thing?  Let me know, I could try to arrange a room for
   something after 6pm or so.

Could be fun.  I'll be there...
--
Amanda Walker						      amanda@visix.com
Visix Software Inc.					...!uunet!visix!amanda

andyp@treehouse.UUCP (Andy Peterman) (05/02/91)

In article <13256@goofy.Apple.COM> ksand@Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik, 120dB or more) writes:

>Would anyone be interested to do a "Usenet NetHead Birds of a Feather" thing?
>Let me know, I could try to arrange a room for something after 6pm or so.

I'm interested!  Let's do it one of the nights when dinner isn't
provided (or are there other things going on those nights?).

--
Andy Peterman                       |   Opinions expressed
treehouse!andyp@gvgpsa.gvg.tek.com  | are definitely those of

zben@ni.umd.edu (Ben Cranston) (05/02/91)

In article <9937@castle.ed.ac.uk> tjc@castle.ed.ac.uk (A J Cunningham) writes:

> I'll be there. How do we recognise each other?
> p.s. any other Netheads going there?
> Tony Cunningham, Edinburgh University Computing Service. tjc@castle.ed.ac.uk

Managed to wangle "emergency travel" out of the PTB, reservations at the
Red Lion (wherever the h*ll that is) and FedExed conf registration out of
here a few hours ago (can you say "procrastinate"?) and I'm looking at the
plane tickets, so there's at least a 90% chance I'll be there...

Let's try the Usenet BOF idea and beat on Apple to get ftp.apple.com working.

"Did you hear { Iraq | Kuwait } has been divided into two sections?

"Smoking and Non-Smoking!"

sfalken@mondo.engin.umich.edu (Steve Falkenburg) (05/02/91)

In article <1991May1.203859.26041@ni.umd.edu>, zben@ni.umd.edu (Ben Cranston) writes:

..

> Let's try the Usenet BOF idea and beat on Apple to get ftp.apple.com working.

I'll be there too.  It's the week after I start working at Apple DTS,
so if you want, you can yell at me!  Just as long as I don't hear
anything about XferIt bugs, that is... ;-)

-steve falkenburg
 sfalken@mondo.engin.umich.edu

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (05/02/91)

Umm, I'll step forward to try to get something put together if no
one else wants to.

I can check around downtown (or along the light rail system which
runs in front of the convention center) for a restaurant that can
take a group that week.

Restaurants like to have some idea of how many people might show up,
so if you email me to let me know if you might be interested, I can put
together a rough tally.

Also which night to people prefer?  I haven't seen a detailed schedule
yet so I don't have a preference yet...

I'll try to come up with a list of possible eating establishments
by monday and we can vote on it.

Of course if someone else has a better idea, please step forward!

-- michael

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE

mxmora@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) (05/02/91)

In article <1991Apr29.055115.25567@dhw68k.cts.com> bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com (Roger L. Long) writes:
>In article <1503@anaxagoras.ils.nwu.edu> Mike Engber writes:
>>I've manage to get myself sent. Are any other comp.sys.mac.programmer
>>people going. I'd like to meet and personally thank some of you for all
>>the help I've been getting on the net.
>
>I'll be there.

Where is the conference goin to be held? Maybe we could all agree (yeah right
the net agree on something :-)) on meeting at some bar and grill for some
food, drinks and mingling.

Matt

Matthew Mora                |   my Mac  Matt_Mora@sri.com
SRI International           |  my unix  mxmora@unix.sri.com

ksand@Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik, 120dB or more) (05/03/91)

In article <0B010004.shocbe@outpost.UUCP> peirce@outpost.UUCP writes:
>Umm, I'll step forward to try to get something put together if no
>one else wants to.

>I can check around downtown (or along the light rail system which
>runs in front of the convention center) for a restaurant that can
>take a group that week.

>Restaurants like to have some idea of how many people might show up,
>so if you email me to let me know if you might be interested, I can put
>together a rough tally.

This sounds good. I tried to get a room for a session after the
main ones on Tuesday or Thursday, but the conference center closes
after 7pm. Also the other evenings have Apple arranged evening events.
So it does not look like we could make a normal BOF session at the
conference center.

What I suggest is that we could meet in the DTS Feedback Forum room
on Tuesday evening after it ends (about 7.30pm), and eventually go
to a restaurant or something similar. The DTS bashing session would
be a natural meeting point, or what :-)? I'm interested to go somewhere,
with the option of maybe some problems back home (my wife's having a kid
any day).

Regards,
Kent

--

amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) (05/03/91)

In article <23842@unix.SRI.COM> mxmora@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) writes:

   Where is the conference goin to be held?

The San Jose Convention Center

   Maybe we could all agree (yeah right the net agree on something
   :-)) on meeting at some bar and grill for some food, drinks and
   mingling.

Isn't there a "real" English pub somewhere close by, with authentic-style
Fish & Chips, good english beers, etc.?  I'll have to go ask our
resident Brit...

--
Amanda Walker						      amanda@visix.com
Visix Software Inc.					...!uunet!visix!amanda
--
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he
 hears a different drummer.  Let him march to the music he hears, be it

paul@taniwha.UUCP (Paul Campbell) (05/03/91)

In article <9937@castle.ed.ac.uk> tjc@castle.ed.ac.uk (A J Cunningham) writes:

> I'll be there. How do we recognise each other?

We'll be the ones with the placards demanding 32-bit clean ROMs :-)

	Paul

--
Paul Campbell    UUCP: ..!mtxinu!taniwha!paul     AppleLink: CAMPBELL.P

My son is now 2 months old, in that time he has doubled his weight,
if he does this every 2 months for the next year he will weigh over 300lbs.

tjc@castle.ed.ac.uk (A J Cunningham) (05/03/91)

In article <1991May2.231136.22822@visix.com> amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) writes:

>Isn't there a "real" English pub somewhere close by, with authentic-style
>Fish & Chips, good english beers, etc.?  I'll have to go ask our
>resident Brit...

	(Sarcasm on) Oh superb. I come 4000 miles and I get to eat Fish and
Chips. Brilliant. And as for English beer.... (Sarcasm Off)
Tony

--
Tony Cunningham, Edinburgh University Computing Service. tjc@castle.ed.ac.uk

Inspiration, move me brightly, light the song with sense and colour, hold
away despair. More than this I will not ask faced with mysteries dark and vast.

moreland@happy.sdsc.edu (John Moreland) (05/03/91)

I'll be there !

John "Mac Hack" Moreland
San Diego Supercomputer Center
moreland@sdsc.edu

--
 _____                                                                   _____
( ___ )-----------------------------------------------------------------( ___ )

amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) (05/04/91)

In article <10024@castle.ed.ac.uk> tjc@castle.ed.ac.uk (A J
Cunningham) writes:

   (Sarcasm on) Oh superb. I come 4000 miles and I get to eat Fish and
   Chips. Brilliant. And as for English beer.... (Sarcasm Off)

I'm sure they can make some American bar food and a Budweiser for you :).

More seriously, Gordon Biersch is nice brew pub real close to the
convention center.  Several of the Visix trade show crew recommend
it highly.

--
Amanda Walker						      amanda@visix.com
Visix Software Inc.					...!uunet!visix!amanda
--
"A keyboard... how quaint!"	--Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com (Roger L. Long) (05/04/91)

In article <13292@goofy.Apple.COM> Kent Sandvik writes:
>What I suggest is that we could meet in the DTS Feedback Forum room
>on Tuesday evening after it ends (about 7.30pm), and eventually go
>to a restaurant or something similar.

I'd like to suggest Thursday evening.  I've already got plans for
Tuesday.  Or perhaps we could arrange meeting places for *both*
Tuesday and Thursday evenings, so that folks that have other plans
for the one evening could get together on the other.
--
	Roger L. Long
	bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com

In article <841@taniwha.UUCP> paul@taniwha.UUCP (Paul Campbell) writes:

   We'll be the ones with the placards demanding 32-bit clean ROMs :-)

Cute :).

At least one or two of the days, I'll probably be wearing one of my tasteful
"Visix: Software From Hell" T-shirts... (gray with fluorescent orange
design).  I'm also quite tall, and have been told I'm hard to miss.  I've
never been sure whether or not that's a compliment, but there it is,
for what it's worth :).

--

bell@apple.com (Mike Bell) (05/04/91)

In article <1991May3.212528.29826@visix.com>, amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker)
writes:
> From: amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker)
> Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.programmer
> Subject: Re: Apple Developer Conf - comp.sys.mac.programmer get together
> Date: 3 May 91 21:25:28 GMT
> Sender: news@visix.com
>
> In article <10024@castle.ed.ac.uk> tjc@castle.ed.ac.uk (A J
> Cunningham) writes:
>
>    (Sarcasm on) Oh superb. I come 4000 miles and I get to eat Fish and
>    Chips. Brilliant. And as for English beer.... (Sarcasm Off)
>
> I'm sure they can make some American bar food and a Budweiser for you :).
>
> More seriously, Gordon Biersch is nice brew pub real close to the
> convention center.  Several of the Visix trade show crew recommend
> it highly.
>
> --
> Amanda Walker						      amanda@visix.com
> Visix Software Inc.					...!uunet!visix!amanda
> --
> "A keyboard... how quaint!"	--Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

     I'll second that choice !!!!

               Mike

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (05/04/91)

In article <1991May4.060548.1108@visix.com>, amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) writes:

>I'm also quite tall, and have been told I'm hard to miss.  I've
> never been sure whether or not that's a compliment, but there it is,
> for what it's worth :).

Hummm, I'm 6' 6" (or an even 2m!).  Maybe all of us usenet folks are
tall.  Yeah, that it!  We'll find each other over the heads of ever
one else!

-- michael

Seriously, Tuesday seems to be the day of choice of *most* people (one
day can't be perfect for all, I'm afraid).  We're getting quite a
list so I'm trying to find a couple of restaurants that can handle
a real crowd! (I'll have a short list of them to argue over, err vote
on, for you all monday (yeah, sure I will :-)

tjc@castle.ed.ac.uk (A J Cunningham) (05/05/91)

In article <1991May3.224212.3347@dhw68k.cts.com> bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com (Roger L. Long) writes:
>In article <13292@goofy.Apple.COM> Kent Sandvik writes:
>>What I suggest is that we could meet in the DTS Feedback Forum room
>>on Tuesday evening after it ends (about 7.30pm),

>I'd like to suggest Thursday evening.  I've already got plans for
>Tuesday.

Ditto. Tuesday night is the UK DTS party and I want to get to that.
Thursday as far as I know is fine.
Tony

--

drc@claris.com (Dennis Cohen) (05/05/91)

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) writes:

>In article <1991May4.060548.1108@visix.com>, amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) writes:
>>
>>I'm also quite tall, and have been told I'm hard to miss.  I've
>> never been sure whether or not that's a compliment, but there it is,
>> for what it's worth :).

>Hummm, I'm 6' 6" (or an even 2m!).  Maybe all of us usenet folks are
>tall.  Yeah, that it!  We'll find each other over the heads of ever
>one else!

>-- michael

>Seriously, Tuesday seems to be the day of choice of *most* people (one
>day can't be perfect for all, I'm afraid).  We're getting quite a
>list so I'm trying to find a couple of restaurants that can handle
>a real crowd! (I'll have a short list of them to argue over, err vote
>on, for you all monday (yeah, sure I will :-)

I, too, prefer Tuesday as Thursday is booked for some meetings in the late
afternoon and early evening.

So far as the height matter is concerned, your supposition is wrong that
all us NetHeads are tall, Michael, you forgot about me (13.5 inches shorter
than you) and Leonard Rosenthol is about the same height as am I.  Maybe
we have unusual concentrations at both ends of the height spectrum, with
a smattering in the middle.

--
| Dennis Cohen     drc@claris.com   COHEN2   AFC DCohen    71076,1377
|                  Internet       AppleLink  AmerOnline    CompuServe
| Disclaimer:  Any unattributed opinions expressed above are _MINE_!

zben@ni.umd.edu (Ben Cranston) (05/06/91)

Find me in a bright green "Beta Testing is for Sissies!" tee shirt.
Courtesy of the Smack-A-Mac people, it was a big seller at MacWorld in Jan.

aruigrok@bnr.ca (Adrian C Ruigrok) (05/06/91)

writes:

>>>I'm also quite tall, and have been told I'm hard to miss.  I've
>>> never been sure whether or not that's a compliment, but there it is,
>>> for what it's worth :).
>
>>Hummm, I'm 6' 6" (or an even 2m!).  Maybe all of us usenet folks are
>>tall.  Yeah, that it!  We'll find each other over the heads of ever
>>one else!
>
>>-- michael
>

>So far as the height matter is concerned, your supposition is wrong that
>all us NetHeads are tall, Michael, you forgot about me (13.5 inches shorter
>than you) and Leonard Rosenthol is about the same height as am I.  Maybe
>we have unusual concentrations at both ends of the height spectrum, with
>a smattering in the middle.

Tuesday is a fine night, and I am with Micheal at 2m even pushing the average
up.
Adrian

kent@sunfs3.Camex.COM (Kent Borg) (05/06/91)

In article <0B01FFFB.eqitix@outpost.UUCP> peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) writes:
/>
/>In article <1991May4.060548.1108@visix.com>, amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) writes:
/>>
/>>I'm also quite tall, and have been told I'm hard to miss.  I've
/>> never been sure whether or not that's a compliment, but there it is,
/>> for what it's worth :).
/>
/>Hummm, I'm 6' 6" (or an even 2m!).  Maybe all of us usenet folks are
/>tall.  Yeah, that it!  We'll find each other over the heads of ever
/>one else!

6' 3.75"

--
Kent Borg                            internet: kent@camex.com   AOL: kent borg
                                            H:(617) 776-6899  W:(617) 426-3577

In article <10063@castle.ed.ac.uk> tjc@castle.ed.ac.uk (A J Cunningham) writes:

>Ditto. Tuesday night is the UK DTS party and I want to get to that.
>Thursday as far as I know is fine.
>Tony

OK, so when and where are all the Tuesday and Thursday parties??
There are going to be some both nights, so we need to tread between
them--but that requires knowing when, where, and how good.

Who has the best scoop on the party circuit?

--

lemke@radius.com (Steve Lemke) (05/08/91)

...to which peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) responds:

>Hummm, I'm 6' 6" (or an even 2m!).  Maybe all of us usenet folks are tall.

Uh, not _everyone_...

>Yeah, that it!  We'll find each other over the heads of everyone else!

Please don't step on me as you're wandering around looking for the other
tall people!!

:-)

--
----- Steve Lemke, KC6QDT - Software Engineering, Radius Inc., San Jose -----
----- Reply to: lemke@radius.com -- U.C. Santa Barbara ECE Class of '89 -----

nilesinc@well.sf.ca.us (Avi Rappoport) (05/11/91)

I will only be there Thursday, but you'll be able to spot me because I'll
be with the *very* short guy, 24" tall (and 4 months old).
--
--  Help me justify my online bills: ask me EndNote questions, please!  --
Avi Rappoport                               2000 Hearst, Berkeley, CA 94709