[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Rotated text on the Mac

jh@ist.CO.UK (Jeremy Huxtable) (04/30/91)

I need to be able to draw rotated text on the Mac. Now the obvious solution
is to draw into an offscreen bitmap, rotate it and then CopyBits it, but
surely in these days of Adobe Type manager and TrueType, there must be a
better way if they happen to be installed??? I assume that this must be an
FAQ, but I haven't been reading the news for a while so apologies if this
has been discussed recently.

Can I tell if ATM or TrueType are installed?
Can I use them to draw rotated text, falling back on bitmap rotation
as a last resort?
Does ATM, for example, spot the LaserWriter rotated text comments in
pictures drawn by QuickDraw?

The ideal method would be to get the path information back from ATM/TrueType
but I assume that this is impossible because the manufacturers wish to
protect their fonts.

Any help on this would be appreciated,

Jeremy Huxtable

deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu (Ben Haller) (05/05/91)

In article <2898@istop.ist.CO.UK> jh@ist.CO.UK (Jeremy Huxtable) writes:
>Can I tell if ATM or TrueType are installed?
>Can I use them to draw rotated text, falling back on bitmap rotation
>as a last resort?

  Well, ATM can obviously draw rotated text.  TrueType, however, cannot,
making ATM (IMHO) the vastly superior product.  ATM can, in fact, draw a
string in any affine-transform-generated coordinate system.
  I think Apple's official line on this sad failing of TrueType is
something like "The average user doesn't need that kind of technology, so
we leave providing that functionality to third-party products [such as
ATM]"  There goes any chance of a standard.  And of course the average user
becomes even more confused - "Why does my Mac have the 'Rotate' command
disabled in the menu, and *his* Mac has it enabled?"  etc.  Actually, I
think the average user could probably find lots of uses for rotated fonts.
But never mind.
  Yet another thing Mac programmers have to check for the presence of, and
then special-case...

>The ideal method would be to get the path information back from ATM/TrueType
>but I assume that this is impossible because the manufacturers wish to
>protect their fonts.

Well, I've heard that ATM 2.0 lets other programs get the outline for a
given character/string, but I've never seen any hard evidence for this,
so who knows.  TrueType doesn't let you do this, to the best of my
knowledge.

-Ben Haller (deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu)
"The man from the government
 The man from the tax board
 The man from the public school
 The man owns the Golden Rule..." - Jane's Addiction

kent@sunfs3.Camex.COM (Kent Borg) (05/06/91)

In article <1991May4.231054.12945@agate.berkeley.edu> deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu (Ben Haller) writes:
>In article <2898@istop.ist.CO.UK> jh@ist.CO.UK (Jeremy Huxtable) writes:
>>Can I tell if ATM or TrueType are installed?
>>Can I use them to draw rotated text, falling back on bitmap rotation
>>as a last resort?
>
>  Well, ATM can obviously draw rotated text.  TrueType, however, cannot,

That's not what I thought.  I am under the impression that Truetype
can do rotated text just fine, but it is Quickdraw that is holding up
the show.  Do you *really* want type rotated alone?  Wouldn't that be
a horrible kludge?  (Which would prompt unending griping, clogging
this newsgroup.)  We need generalized rotating and antialiasing and
resolution independence and quadratic splines (and a whole lot more),
of *everything*, not just type.  Quickdraw is the place to do it.

I am convinced that Apple is working on a new Quickdraw that is
intended to eventually banish Postscript from the Macintosh community,
that is intended to finally give us a single imaging model for both
printing and screen display.

Does anybody have any Quickdraw hints they can let drop?  (How good is
the design?  What does the schedule look like?  Might we hear
something official next week in San Jose?  And while we are at it,
where is "AppleMail" and the store-and-forward IAC?)

>making ATM (IMHO) the vastly superior product.  ATM can, in fact, draw a
>string in any affine-transform-generated coordinate system.

ATM does this stuff because it can, and it is Adobe's "camel nose
under the tent flap" for Display Postscript.  They are thinking of it
as a generalized approach to screen imaging.

Don't blame the Truetype folks, they did good stuff, blame the
Quickdraw people.  They have some *major* work to do.

>Well, I've heard that ATM 2.0 lets other programs get the outline for a
>given character/string, but I've never seen any hard evidence for this,
>so who knows.  TrueType doesn't let you do this, to the best of my
>knowledge.

There are supposed to be hooks in Truetype for all this stuff too, but
Apple is only telling font houses and font tool houses about them, the
rest of us have to wait for Quickdraw.

--
Kent Borg                            internet: kent@camex.com   AOL: kent borg
                                            H:(617) 776-6899  W:(617) 426-3577

czychi@bernina.ethz.ch (Gary Czychi) (05/08/91)

> Does anybody have any Quickdraw hints they can let drop?

YES, Please!  For me too.

I desperately need a way to rotate text  in 30 degree increments and I have
no idea how to do that (not to mention the printing).

Thanks a lot for any help. (I know, it has been discussed before, but what
has come out of it??)

Gary

    Gary T. Czychi                University of St.Gallen, Switzerland

    czychi@csghsg52.BITNET  or  czychi@alpha.unisg.ch (preferred host)
            czychi@bernina.ethz.ch.UUCP   (CZYCHI@ETHZ.uucp)
		      Tel.: --41 / 71 / 57 17 22
                                   -

sokoloff@athena.mit.edu (James T Sokoloff) (05/13/91)

In Article 25157, Jeremy Huxtable writes:

{
I need to be able to draw rotated text on the Mac. Now the obvious solution
is to draw into an offscreen bitmap, rotate it and then CopyBits it, but
surely in these days of Adobe Type manager and TrueType, there must be a
better way if they happen to be installed??? I assume that this must be an
FAQ, but I haven't been reading the news for a while so apologies if this
has been discussed recently.

Can I tell if ATM or TrueType are installed?
Can I use them to draw rotated text, falling back on bitmap rotation
as a last resort?
}

I do not claim to know anything about programming with ATM;  I do however
know a good deal about Apple's TT.  The answer to your question of using TT to
do rotated text is twofold, and you will likely not like the answer.

1. Yes, TT can (& does) support rotated text.  Unfortunately, it is Apple's
decision not to make public the internals of TT interface.  So, the answer to
your question is: Yes, TrueType can do it, but you will not be able to figure out
how without Apple's documentation which they will not provide. (Anyone who gets
hold of this info is bound by VERY TIGHT non-disclosure agreements.  Trust me-I
am not willing to, nor is anyone else willing to disclose it in the face of Apple's
litigation history!)

2. Can I tell if TT is installed.  Sure, call Gestalt; I believe the Gestalt switch
is 'font'  If zero or error is returned, assume that TT is not present.
(For a desc. of Gestalt, check Inside Mac VI)

Hope this helps,
Jim Sokoloff