[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MIDI MANAGER programming problem: appended f7

sheasby@dgp.toronto.edu (Michael C. Sheasby) (05/11/91)

Anybody familiar enough with the Midi Manager to answer a
quick question?

The manager apparently appends an 'f7' to MIDI messages, in
order to ensure that all messages are legal. I want to
override this, since I'm talking to a non-midi device using
the manager (an AKAI DP2000 video switch)

how do you go about adding another message type? right now
the MIDI manager supports type 0 (standard MIDI) and type
1 (to the midi manager). There's room for 6 more types, if
I read the manual right.

thanks for any help

---Mike.

nick@cs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (05/13/91)

In article <1991May10.151405.17569@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu>, sheasby@dgp.toronto.edu (Michael C. Sheasby) writes:
> The manager apparently appends an 'f7' to MIDI messages, in
> order to ensure that all messages are legal.

It'll append F7 bytes to the end of SysEx messages only - not the usual
control messages.

> I want to
> override this, since I'm talking to a non-midi device using
> the manager (an AKAI DP2000 video switch)

If you don't want to talk MIDI, you probably shouldn't be using MIDI Manager.

> how do you go about adding another message type? right now
> the MIDI manager supports type 0 (standard MIDI) and type
> 1 (to the midi manager). There's room for 6 more types, if
> I read the manual right.

I don't know about that. Messages are either MIDI data or meta-messages
(e.g. transmission/reception errors). If you want all kinds of extensibility,
then you aren't talking MIDI anymore and, as I said, you probably don't
want to use MIDI Manager.

	Nick.

--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
                nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcsun!ukc!lfcs!nick