[comp.sys.mac.programmer] ftp.apple.com & System 7.0

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (05/14/91)

Well, ftp.apple.com has had System 7.0 on it since 3 a.m. this morning, BUT
the demand on the machine continues to bring it down before I can get back
onto it to open up the privileges.  To try to resolve this problem, we
are going to do a software and possible hardware upgrade later tonight or
early tomorrow morning.

SO, ftp.apple.com is going to be down for at least 12 hours and System 7.0
will NOT be on apple.com.  I apologize for the delays, but we tried and will
continue until we get it up and running.

When it is back online and ready to go, I'll post it here and on csm.announce,
so PLEASE do not try to access it or pull anything down until you see a
message from me...

Thanks for your continued patience...we appreciate it.

--
Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com

"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_

jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) (05/14/91)

In article <52840@apple.Apple.COM> mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) writes:

>Well, ftp.apple.com has had System 7.0 on it since 3 a.m. this morning, BUT
>the demand on the machine continues to bring it down before I can get back
>onto it to open up the privileges.  To try to resolve this problem, we
>are going to do a software and possible hardware upgrade later tonight or
>early tomorrow morning.

This is very cool, thanks Apple for allowing 7.0 to be FTP'd from an
Internet machine.  I would like to suggest that some of the large FTP
sites like SUMEX and ORST.CS, WUSTLE and others FTP the 7.0 stuff to
THEIR  machines as well so that there can be many points of
distribution.  I suspect there will be so many people clamoring for
FTP/7.0 that no one will have reliable access to it.

So look, unless it screws up Apple's licencing agreements and other
lagalities what do you say we let the big archive sites have 7.0 first
huh?

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May14.163938.7853@potomac.ads.com> jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) writes:

>This is very cool, thanks Apple for allowing 7.0 to be FTP'd from an
>Internet machine.  I would like to suggest that some of the large FTP
>sites like SUMEX and ORST.CS, WUSTLE and others FTP the 7.0 stuff to
>THEIR  machines as well so that there can be many points of
>distribution.  I suspect there will be so many people clamoring for
>FTP/7.0 that no one will have reliable access to it.
>
>So look, unless it screws up Apple's licencing agreements and other
>lagalities what do you say we let the big archive sites have 7.0 first
>huh?

Currently it is ILLEGAL to redistribute Apple's copyrighted software
via electronic means without a license from SW.LICENSE@APPLELINK.APPLE.COM.

Most user groups should have System 7.0 and several large BBS systems
will also be getting it.  As soon as we can work out a license, we'll recommend
several other internet sites to licensing to see if we can make this happen,
but until then, it is not permitted by law.

(This posting is brought to you by those of use concerned with Apple not
losing its copyrights) :-)