[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MacTCP source code donation requested

tony@tui.marcam.dsir.govt.nz (Tony Cooper) (05/15/91)

I have just about finished writing a universal mounting package which, among
other things lets you mount UNIX devices and files (but not filesystems) on
the Mac desktop as a volume. So you can, for example, mount remote floppies
or remote drives on your desktop. Also you can create a remote file and
mount that too as a HFS volume. There is no need to mount UNIX filesystems
since there are packages available to do that (eg CAP, NFS packages etc).

The problem is that it only works under A/UX because I only know how to use
UNIX networking facilities. I thought it would be nice to use MacTCP so that
the program would work under MacOS too. But I know as much as William
Shakespeare about programming with MacTCP - I don't even know if it is
possible to do it without buying extra libraries etc for THINK C.

If some kind person would donate to me some sample MacTCP code that connects
with a remote rshd daemon, starts up a remote program, and communicates
with that program then I would be grateful. In UNIX this is as easy as
calling execl("/usr/ucb/rsh", "rsh", system, program). In MacTCP I bet it's
a lot more difficult than that.

In return I will donate my program free to the Mac community rather than just
the A/UX community.

Thanks,
Tony Cooper
sramtrc@albert.dsir.govt.nz

bell@apple.com (Mike Bell) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May15.123732.22837@am.dsir.govt.nz>,
tony@tui.marcam.dsir.govt.nz (Tony Cooper) writes:

state.edu!think.com!spool.mu.edu!munnari.oz.au!comp.vuw.ac.nz!am.dsir.govt.nz!tu
i.marcam.dsir.govt.nz!tony
> From: tony@tui.marcam.dsir.govt.nz (Tony Cooper)
> Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.programmer
> Subject: MacTCP source code donation requested
> Date: 15 May 91 12:37:32 GMT
> Sender: news@am.dsir.govt.nz
>

> I have just about finished writing a universal mounting package which, among
> other things lets you mount UNIX devices and files (but not filesystems) on
> the Mac desktop as a volume. So you can, for example, mount remote floppies
> or remote drives on your desktop. Also you can create a remote file and
> mount that too as a HFS volume. There is no need to mount UNIX filesystems
> since there are packages available to do that (eg CAP, NFS packages etc).
>
> The problem is that it only works under A/UX because I only know how to use
> UNIX networking facilities. I thought it would be nice to use MacTCP so that
> the program would work under MacOS too. But I know as much as William
> Shakespeare about programming with MacTCP - I don't even know if it is
> possible to do it without buying extra libraries etc for THINK C.
>
> If some kind person would donate to me some sample MacTCP code that connects
> with a remote rshd daemon, starts up a remote program, and communicates
> with that program then I would be grateful. In UNIX this is as easy as
> calling execl("/usr/ucb/rsh", "rsh", system, program). In MacTCP I bet it's
> a lot more difficult than that.
>
> In return I will donate my program free to the Mac community rather than just
> the A/UX community.
>
> Thanks,
> Tony Cooper
> sramtrc@albert.dsir.govt.nz

  The latest issue of Develop magazine has a great article about MacTCP written
by one of the engineers here in DTS. It includes a tutorial article, code for
utility routines, and source for a netnews reader. Check it out.......

            Mike Bell
            DTS