[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Another ETO problem

zaccone@jasper.bucknell.edu (zaccone - 1393) (05/14/91)

I'm a novice with ETO, so I'm sorry if this is an elementary question.
However, I'm quite frustrated.  I've had ETO #3 for about a month now,
and I still can't get the MacApp examples to compile.

A couple of weeks ago I posted a message because there was a bug in
the ETO installer script.  Several people sent me a fix which worked
(sort of).  The script still ends abnormally, but it seems to install
most of the files in the correct place.  It ends by complaining about
an "if" statement.

I made several attempts to install QR3 of MPW, but all failed.  I
finally realized that I needed to install version 3.1 of MPW first,
and then QR3.  However, I was still getting strange results.  (For
example, MPW would hang during its startup procedure).  Finally, I
decided to stick with MPW 3.1.  This seems to be working ok.  I can
compile and run the Pascal, C, and C++ examples.  However, none of the
MacApp examples work.   Here's a transcript of a session in which I
tried to make "Nothing".

MABuildTool - v. 2.0.1 Release 10/25/90          Start: 7:38:01 PM 5/13/91

Copyright Apple Computer, Inc. 1986-1990
All Rights Reserved.

Target Folder: "Hard Disk 80:E.T.O.:MacApp 2.0.1:Examples:CPlusExamples:Nothing:.Non-Debug Files:"
AutoMaking:    Nothing
C++ Load/Dump: UMacApp.h.dump
# C - Fatal Error : 430
# unexpected token in the token input file
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    File "Hard Disk 80:E.T.O.:MacApp 2.0.1:Interfaces:CIncludes:UMacApp.h"; Find %!0:$!1; Open "{Target}"
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# C - Aborted !
Compiling:     Nothing.cp
can't open: Hard Disk 80:E.T.O.:MPW Folder:Load Files:.Non-Debug Files:UMacApp.h.dump
### MPW Shell - Execution of Hard Disk 80:E.T.O.:MacApp 2.0.1:Examples:CPlusExamples:Nothing:.Non-Debug Files:Nothing.MakeIt terminated.
### MPW Shell - Execution of MABuild terminated.
### MPW Shell - Execution of BuildProgram terminated.

Would someone please tell me what's wrong?  I wouldn't be trying to
run the examples if I knew what I was doing.  This is getting very
frustrating.

Rick Zaccone
--
zaccone@bucknell.edu

rbarris@orion.oac.uci.edu (Robert C. Barris) (05/14/91)

In article <ZACCONE.91May13195558@jasper.bucknell.edu> zaccone@jasper.bucknell.edu (zaccone - 1393) writes:

># C - Fatal Error : 430
># unexpected token in the token input file
>#--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>    File "Hard Disk 80:E.T.O.:MacApp 2.0.1:Interfaces:CIncludes:UMacApp.h"; Find %!0:$!1; Open "{Target}"
>#--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
># C - Aborted !
>Compiling:     Nothing.cp
>can't open: Hard Disk 80:E.T.O.:MPW Folder:Load Files:.Non-Debug Files:UMacApp.h.dump
>
>Rick Zaccone
>--
>zaccone@bucknell.edu

I had the same problem until I read the C++ release notes more carefully.
You can't use load/dump unless you are using "C" 3.2b1 which has the support
for that feature. (Load/Dump lets you build a precompiled header which
is very useful for MacApp builds). That version of the compiler should be part
of the C++ stuff (I installed ETO #3 from scratch two weeks ago and don't
remember the details).

I imagine the makefiles for the C++ examples don't make use of the
load/dump stuff which is why they compiled OK. Anyone?

Rob Barris
rbarris@orion.oac.uci.edu

garym@runx.oz.au (Gary Makin) (05/15/91)

In the file "Startup" in the "MacApp" folder, there's a few lines like:

# Include the following line if you wish to use external symbol dumpfiles for Pascal or C++.
# Otherwise Pascal just dumps the symbol tables in the resource fork of the source and C++
# doesn't keep external symbol tables.  Only good for C++ with load/dump support
SET MABuildDefaults "{MABuildDefaults} -PasLoad -CPlusLoad"

If you put a "#" at the start of the last line, then MPW wont try to do a
load/dump for you. The compile will work, but it will take longer.

One other warking, the load/dump file is very large > 1 M.

Gary Makin.

Jim.Spencer@p510.f22.n282.z1.fidonet.org (Jim Spencer) (05/17/91)

zaccone - 1393 writes in a message to All

Z-1> I'm a novice with ETO, so I'm sorry if this is an elementary
Z-1> question. However, I'm quite frustrated. I've had ETO #3 for
Z-1> about a month now, and I still can't get the MacApp examples
Z-1> to compile.

I'm far from an expert but a couple of thoughts.

First of all, my recollection is that the installer wants to put MPW at the root level of your hard disk in a folder named MPW Folder so your MPW path should be "Hard Disk 80:MPW Folder:" rather than the "E.T.O." folder you are using.  It then wants to put MacApp in a folder named "MacApp" in your MPW folder.  This could be important because 1) this may be why your installer is failing so you are missing something important and 2) some of the paths which are set up in your startup scripts may not be correc

t. (Because everything finds itself off of where MPW is, it shouldn't matter but the only way you can be sure is to wander through them and find out.)  This may not be the problem as its been a long time since I've bothered with the installer.  Once you get an installation that works, I suggest doing updates by dragging the new stuff into the appropriate folders.

Second, the CPlus Load files feature gave me a lot of headaches.  I suggest trying to compile the examples without using the Load/Dump feature at first.  Then when you are successful with that you can try to get the dumps to work for you.  You don't show your MABuild Command line but either take out the CPlusLoad option or comment out the line in MacApp's Startup script.

 * Origin: White Mailer Test Point (1.0d6) (1:282/22.510)

Jim.Spencer@p510.f22.n282.z1.fidonet.org (Jim Spencer) (05/17/91)

Robert C. Barris writes in a message to All

RCB> I imagine the makefiles for the C++ examples don't make use of
RCB> the load/dump stuff which is why they compiled OK. Anyone?

Yea.  Load/dump is getting used in Rick Zaccone's MacApp program because the MacApp make files will do so when either 1) the CPlusLoad option is on the MABuild command line or 2) the startup file has not commented out the line which makes load/dump the MacApp default.  I don't think the C++ examples have been changed since before C++ went final.

 * Origin: White Mailer Test Point (1.0d6) (1:282/22.510)