[comp.sys.mac.programmer] System 7.0, VM, & apps questions

kim@feynman.valid.com (Kim Helliwell) (05/15/91)

First, the general question:
From a programming point of view, what does a `VM aware' application do
that a `normal' (at least, a pre-7.0 normal) application doesn't do?

Now, some specific questions:
In particular, I'm interested in what happens with some specific apps:
MacDraw and Think C.  The 7.0 compatibility checker says that MacDraw and
Think C won't work with VM, and recommends that VM be turned off when using
those applications.  But a call to Claris produces the following statement
from a tech support person:  MacDraw will work fine with VM, but use at
your own risk, since the SQA group ran into a (possibly obscure) problem with
it.  That's why it is flagged "don't use with VM."

Now, what about Think C?  Does it really run with VM, but might cause problems?
Or does it die horribly and with certainty?  I haven't been able to try it
yet, since I still have 4.0.1 and need to get 4.0.5 before I can run it at
all.

I did briefly bring up MacDraw with VM on, and saw no overt problems.  But
I didn't stress test it by bringing up all the rest of my applications at the
same time :-).

Disclaimer: Last time I posted a question, our newsreader posted multiple
copies of my post.  I've been assured that there is no current problem with
the newsreader or with posting.  But, in case the same thing happens again,
I apologize in advance for wasting bandwidth.  I would like to know if it
happens, however, so I can provide evidence to our sysadmin that there IS
in fact a problem.

"Never let work interfere with your reasons for working."

Kim Helliwell

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (05/17/91)

In article <445@valid.valid.com>, kim@feynman.valid.com (Kim Helliwell) writes:
> But a call to Claris produces the following statement
> from a tech support person:  MacDraw will work fine with VM, but use at
> your own risk, since the SQA group ran into a (possibly obscure) problem with
> it.  That's why it is flagged "don't use with VM."

According to an expert (my wife the SQA person who tested MacDraw II
under System 7.0) MacDraw II 1.1v2 should work fine with System 7.0.
Testing was limited to checks for functionality of the product under
that system. She says that she found no problems with VM, she hedges
a bit on 32-bit addressing (it seems to work fine but it hasn't been
tested to the limits).She didn't have a chance to *thoroughly* test it
(they're busy testing the new MacDraw Pro), but never found any serious
problems with it.

Claris Tech Support may have given you the advisory based on the fact
that a really thorough test wasn't performed. It's probably good advice.

-- michael

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE