[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Need advice on memory requirements for speedy MPW/C++ under 7.0

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (opcode ranger) (05/17/91)

I'm curious about how much memory will be "desired" to run MPW/MacApp/C++
under System 7.

I currently have a Mac II w/PMMU with 5 megs of RAM (and Virtual).  I'm curious
about whether I should upgrade to 8 meg to be "comfortable" running MPW and C++
under System 7.  I know that I will be able to take advantage of VM under 7 (as
I do now with Virtual), but I also know that MPW is slow  enough w/o VM, and VM
may make it quite slow indeed.  But I don't know. And that's why I'm keen to
get any info/opinions that I can. Right now I usually give MPW somewhere around
4 megs of memory space.  I'm not sure whether this would be possible w/o disk
swapping w/ 5 megs under 7.

(BTW, memory seems to have gotten a bit pricier: $49/meg from Technology Works,
from whom I bought my RAM last time).

I know this is a very vague question, but I'd be grateful for any advice/
opnions.

Robert

= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "Good tea.        =
=            		         * all my opinions are *  Nice house."     =
=                                * mine                *  -Worf            =

ksand@Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May16.133242.1@gsbacd.uchicago.edu> gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (opcode ranger) writes:
>I'm curious about how much memory will be "desired" to run MPW/MacApp/C++
>under System 7.

Speaking from my own experience 5-6Mb is a kind of a requirement, more is
bliss. If you could create a RAM disk (2-3Mb) for the C++ scratch area
as well as the dump file then you get quite faster compilation times.

If you want to keep MacBrowse and the new SourceBug (soon arriving
on ETO CDs) alive in memory you need more memory.

My former manager tried to use MacApp/C++ with a 2Mb portable, and he
managed to do this as long as he did not use -CPlusLoad, and used
a minimal System (only Finder). So I guess with careful tuning
everything is possible...

Kent Sandvik, DTS

--
Disclaimer: Private and personal activities on USENET, non-company sponsored