[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Sys7 from ftp.apple.com corrupted?

dwright@sif.claremont.edu (05/17/91)

Well, I finally managed to get on bric-a-brac eaaaaarly this morning, and
downloaded all of the high-density images but tid-bits (at which point
bric-a-brac crashed), transfered them from the UNIX machine, tried to unbinhex
them---- and every single file was corrupted!  Has anyone had any luck with
decoded the images at the ftp site, or is just me & my braindead machine?

-- Dan

Dan Wright          DWRIGHT@SIF (bitnet)  or  dwright@sif.claremont.edu
Harvey Mudd College, Claremont, CA            Macintosh Systems Manager
                                       & programmer in search of a summer job

choda@milton.u.washington.edu (Bob Marley) (05/17/91)

Well....

	I have had lots of problems with unbinhexing stuff, you just
gotta check the file (more it, or vi etc) see if there is any headers
to clean off at the top, or any other garbage that may have collected there...
I mean thats a lot of file to be all corrupted.... and from such a place..

bhatlas@pyrite.SOM.CWRU.Edu (Sunil Bhatla) (05/17/91)

Funny, I seem to have the same problem.  Runnit the .hqx files through
mcvert or Stuffit or Downline consistently results in a CRC error.
Plunging ahead nevertheless, I unstuffed the files and mounted the images,
but found the contents to be unusable.

Bob Marley suggests checking the file headers and for other garbage, how long
does one take to page through 8+ Meg of data? Is there an easier way?

Sunil
(I have Sys 7, and yet I don't! How frustrating...)

Sunil Bhatla                      |||  INTERNET: bhatlas@pyrite.som.cwru.edu
Case Western Reserve University   |||     VOICE: 216/368-2061

mkh6317@zeus.tamu.edu (HOWARD, MATTHEW KENDALL) (05/17/91)

I think it is pretty clear that at some point the FDHD images from
ftp.apple.com became damaged.  I've found some garbage deep in
install-1, and can find no apparent visible damage to install-2
however it also fails under a crc error.   I believe that ftp.apple.com
crashed for a time around 3 to 4 am early Thursday.  Perhaps that is
when the damaged occurred.  I got my copy after that time.

Is anyone having trouble un-binhexing the 800 k disk images?
Has anyone gotten a good FDHD copy since say about 6 am west coast time?

I wonder is the lines are jammed with people d/l-ing crap-o-la?

PS.  Earlier I asked for a corrected character pattern.  Since install-2
is no good, the first part won't help me either.

Matt

barbee@pseudo.berkeley.edu (Troy Barbee) (05/17/91)

In article <16286@helios.TAMU.EDU>, mkh6317@zeus.tamu.edu (HOWARD, MATTHEW KENDALL) writes...
>I think it is pretty clear that at some point the FDHD images from
>ftp.apple.com became damaged.  I've found some garbage deep in
>install-1, and can find no apparent visible damage to install-2
>however it also fails under a crc error.   I believe that ftp.apple.com
>crashed for a time around 3 to 4 am early Thursday.  Perhaps that is
>when the damaged occurred.  I got my copy after that time.

I haven't tried to look inside the files, but I managed to download all
six FDHD images Wednesday morning at 2 am right after it came up, and
ALL give CRC errors.  I got in again Thurs. morning at 4 am or so, and
they were still damaged.  I've sent a message to Mjohnson@apple.com
and he said mine was the second report of bad files and that he'd look
into it when he got a chance.  I guess we have to hang on and wait for
details.

Troy Barbee
barbee@pseudo.berkeley.edu

tlunde@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Thomas Lunde) (05/17/91)

I got into ftp.apple.com at about 3:30 am CST on May 16 and got the
800k images, the HD images, and the net-install images.  (I've got
to deal with both types of machines and put it on a student govt network.)
Both the 800K and the net-install unhqx'ed using mcvert with no problems.
I also got the CRC check failed message on all of the HD images.
I tried stripping headers, which didn't work and then mailed Mark
Johnson.  He replied that he was aware of the problem and would have it
fixed when he could get on the machine.

So, use the 800K images or the net-install ones.  They work fine.
To keep my mail box from overflowing, NO, because of the length, I will
NOT mail the images to anyone.  Actually, I can't becuase I have no way
to translate the files back to .hqx after putting them into MacBinary.
However, to lighten the load on ftp.apple.com, I am doing a lot of
copying locally.

Past messages and references follow:

In article <1991May17.065556.2317@agate.berkeley.edu>,
barbee@pseudo.berkeley.edu (Troy Barbee) writes:
>I haven't tried to look inside the files, but I managed to download all
>six FDHD images Wednesday morning at 2 am right after it came up, and
>ALL give CRC errors.  I got in again Thurs. morning at 4 am or so, and
>they were still damaged.  I've sent a message to Mjohnson@apple.com
>and he said mine was the second report of bad files and that he'd look
>into it when he got a chance.  I guess we have to hang on and wait for
>details.

Thomas

--
                                   | People around here have a tendency to like
Thomas Lunde                       | to jump up and down and scream a lot.
tlunde@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu        |          -- Jon Hamilton

rcbaem@rw8.urc.tue.nl (pooh 'Ernst' Mulder) (05/17/91)

In <16286@helios.TAMU.EDU> mkh6317@zeus.tamu.edu (HOWARD, MATTHEW KENDALL) writes:
>Is anyone having trouble un-binhexing the 800 k disk images?
>Has anyone gotten a good FDHD copy since say about 6 am west coast time?

Well, all my 800k Images dehexed (using mcvert) and unstuffed OK,
without any CRC errors. I ftp-d dthe disks 'install-1' 'fonts' and
'install-2' yesterday, the rest today.

pooh

--
/*********************************************************************
 * Everything stated above is absolutely true.

ajb@cs.brown.edu (Atul Butte) (05/17/91)

In article <16286@helios.TAMU.EDU> mkh6317@zeus.tamu.edu writes:
>Is anyone having trouble un-binhexing the 800 k disk images?
>Has anyone gotten a good FDHD copy since say about 6 am west coast time?

I was able to get through to ftp.apple.com around 4:30am eastern time...
I was able to maintain a 1.6K/sec transfer speed... but I lost the
network connection while on the 3rd image.  Luckily I was able to get
back on quickly and I was able to download the other 800K images, which
worked perfectly.

Mark Johnson, Chuq, and the rest of Apple:  Thank you VERY much for providing
these on ftp.apple.com... and I especially like the ftp-limiting software.
I noticed that the limiting software was installed pretty late last night,
so I assume Mark must have pulled an all-nighter installing it.  It
must really be tough having to "support" ftp.apple.com in your off-hours,
and I appreciate it!

Atul Butte
Brown University
atul@brownvm.brown.edu

P.S. don't ask me to send them to you, etc, etc... just be patient and stay
up all night...

jackb@MDI.COM (Jack Brindle) (05/18/91)

In article <1991May16.182322.1@sif.claremont.edu> dwright@sif.claremont.edu writes:
>Well, I finally managed to get on bric-a-brac eaaaaarly this morning, and
>downloaded all of the high-density images but tid-bits (at which point
>bric-a-brac crashed), transfered them from the UNIX machine, tried to unbinhex
>them---- and every single file was corrupted!  Has anyone had any luck with
>decoded the images at the ftp site, or is just me & my braindead machine?

Did you remember to do a Binary Image transfer? This has bitten me many times...

JackB.

frain@cis.ksu.edu (Jerry Frain) (05/18/91)

jackb@MDI.COM (Jack Brindle) writes:

>In article <1991May16.182322.1@sif.claremont.edu> dwright@sif.claremont.edu writes:
>>Well, I finally managed to get on bric-a-brac eaaaaarly this morning, and
>>downloaded all of the high-density images but tid-bits (at which point
>>bric-a-brac crashed), transfered them from the UNIX machine, tried to unbinhex
>>them---- and every single file was corrupted!  Has anyone had any luck with
>>decoded the images at the ftp site, or is just me & my braindead machine?
>>
>Did you remember to do a Binary Image transfer? This has bitten me many times...

>JackB.

Binhexed files are ascii files, not binary files.  If you transferred
them using binary mode, then that could be part of the problem.

  --Jerry

--
Jerry Frain -- Systems Programmer               Kansas State University
                                        Department of Computing & Info Sciences

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (05/18/91)

>Binhexed files are ascii files, not binary files.  If you transferred
>them using binary mode, then that could be part of the problem.

Good advice in general.  However: if you're ftp'ing from one UNIX machine
to another, do use binary mode.  It will work fine, and much less CPU
will be used.  Overworked sites (ftp.apple.com, sumex) will thank you.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner